6 | Ghosts

CHAPTER VI

"Ghost"

I woke up to the sound of the door getting closed. I opened my eyes as fast as I could, trying to see who had entered my room. No one was there, not even Eleanor. Apparently doctors had taken her away. But why?

Since the previous night, when we both accepted we were monsters without saying it at loud, we hadn't talked again. To be honest, I didn't feel like talking to her ever again, though I did was worried about her.

Eleanor could be really sassy, but she still looked so fragile that it made me feel anxious, like if I had to keep an eye on her. Maybe it was being stuck in a bed that was driving me crazy, or maybe it was a real feeling.

I tried to sleep a bit longer but I failed. When I gave up, Nancy, the nurse, came in.

"Good morning, son," she greeted me with a large plate in her hands, "It's breakfast time."

She helped me to sit straight and accommodated the food over my bed. I hate to say this but I was getting used to eat in bed.

"How did you sleep?"

"Fine, I guess. After what happened last night I suppose I could only relax, right?" I was still feeling so guilty about my behaviour the past night.

"It's normal Louis. It will just take time..." she gave me an adorable look and headed to the door.

"Nancy!" I stopped her.

"Yes?"

"Hum, do you know -" I hesitated. "Do you know what happened with Eleanor?"

"Well, it's not an easy day for her. Her treatment starts today and... it's a tough time she has to go through again."

"Again?" I was trying to learn more about the sassy girl without talking to her. The worst way ever.

"Yes. This is not her first time here," she looked at her empty bed and made a painful gesture with her face. I realized I had moved my broken arm a little bit... it hurt.

"So, she's been here before?"

"Sadly, she has. So, please, be nice with her."

How could I be nice if she seemed to hate me? The only thing I could do was not talking to her... or looking at her... or even breathing near her. I had to be a shadow.

And that is exactly what I was going to do; to be a shadow, a ghost. I was going to keep an eye on her just ignoring her, not disturbing her.

My presence seemed to upset her in a way I was not able to explain.

So I decided to go on with my new plan, pretend she didn't even exist. I was going to give her space so she could not feel "attacked" under any circumstance. In the end, we still had to share the room for a while.

Later, I was lost in the truck of my thoughts when the door opened. A doctor entered and nodded to me as a greeting. I nodded back.

And there she was. She came in walking as slowly as possible grabbing the doctor's arm. Her hand was pressed really hard around the doctor's. I could even see her veins through her skin. I shivered.

"Okay now, let me help you," the doctor told her lifting her in the air and placing her on her bed. I knew I was supposed not to look and to ignore her, but when I saw her standing next to me she reminded me the image of a ghost.

Eleanor was given some instructions which I didn't understand and then the doctor exited. We were alone. I was rally awkward there because I could hear her sobs. She was crying looking at the ceiling. Her wrists were once more connected to those horrifying machines, making her look even more delicate.

For the first time I understood how lucky I was. I was in a hospital for not feeling my legs, for not feeling any pain at all. And she was there with me dealing with all the pain a girl could handle. Maybe more.

We were ghosts in a room. But I was not born to be a ghost, so I spoke.

"Excuse me, lady?" I had no idea how to address her. "I know you are going to curse me or more likely to ignore me but..." my mouth got dry. "Can I do something for you?"

She looked at me turning her head really slowly. I could tell any movement cost her huge effort. Her eyes were sparkling because of her tears, her hair gracefully falling to the sides of her face and her body as stiff as mine. She opened her mouth to answer me and I knew nothing good could happen then.

"Call me Eleanor, or El."

Her voice sounded as a whisper, lifeless. As a ghost.

*********************************************************

So, a turn in the story! I hope you are enjoying this as much as I am enjoying writing it. This story shows a different Eleanor, more sassy; and a more concerned Lou perhaps. I like to let my imagination free ; ) 

For the next chapter... 20 comments? 

Love yoooou ALL xx

A-