Margaery.

LIMERENCE | XXI.
MARGAERY TYRELL
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

MARGAERY HAD NEVER DREAMT OF BEING A MOTHER

MARGAERY HAD NEVER DREAMT OF BEING A MOTHER. She assumed that she would be someday, but it wasn't at the forefront of her mind like it was many women her age. The truth was that Margaery feared she would make a horrible mother. Children hardly survived in their world and she knew better than to get attached. She wouldn't be able to provide the motherly essence that Elinor was able to.

In some way, she envied Elinor for losing her mother so young and being able to carry on the way she did. To do such a wonderful job in caring for Mariah and William, an area that Margaery knew she would never succeed in due to the failures of her own mother.

Alerie had always been distant, keeping Margaery, especially at arm's length for reasons that Margaery had never been told. Perhaps that was why she clung to her grandmother the way she did because Olenna saw something in her that her own mother never did.

"You're very good with her," Sansa's voice says, interrupting Margaery's thought process. She glances at the Stark girl curiously and Sansa points over to Mariah who was chasing a butterfly around in the gardens, "Motherly instinct must come naturally to you."

"I wish it did," Margaery says with a laugh, "Mariah is an easy girl to care for. Place her in a garden and she'll find some way to entertain herself."

Sansa laughs, "I only say it because I've noticed you've been taking care of her since Princess Elinor returned home."

Margaery's lips quirks proudly at Sansa's simple, yet excellent lie. It was graceful, the way that Sansa busied herself by eating a grape. She was a fast learner and Margaery was very proud.

"I made Elinor a promise that I'd look after Mariah. There are few people that I trust in King's Landing, so her care falls into my hands and my grandmother's but she can hardly keep up with Mariah."

Sansa chuckles, "I know. My younger brother, Rickon, he was about her age when I left, and he was quite wild."

Margaery observes the somber look on Sansa's face, "Do you miss them?"

"More than you know," Sansa says softly, "I'm quite envious of you and Elinor. You both may be in dangerous territory, but at least you aren't alone."

Margaery reaches across the table and takes Sansa's hand in her own, "And neither are you. I know I'm not a Stark, but I consider you the sister I never had."

Sansa smiles happily at that, then her eyebrow furrows curiously, "What about Elinor?"

Margaery bites her lip to hide her growing smile, "Elinor and I are close, but I would not compare our relationship to that of sisters."

"Oh," Sansa states nodding her head, "I didn't mean to assume anything."

Margaery chuckles, "You've done nothing wrong."