Elinor

LIMERENCE | I.
ELINOR MARTELL
Dornish Water Gardens | 295 a.c.

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND," Elinor said softly, "Why do I have to go?"

To Elinor Martell, it was a reasonable question. Her cousin, Arianne, was far more confident than she was. Men would fall at her feet, all she had to was smile. It made her a much better candidate as the future wife of Willas Tyrell.

"You're going to have to get married someday, Elinor," Her father said, "What difference does it make if it's Willas Tyrell or Edric Dayne?"

"E-Edric Dayne doesn't hate our family," Elinor said softly. Silently she was cursing herself for her small stutter. She watched as the corner of her father's mouth perked up. The comment was sarcastic, which wasn't in Elinor's nature.

"Willas doesn't hate you," Oberyn reassured, "No one could hate you."

"Obara does," Elinor replied.

"Obara doesn't like anyone," Oberyn retorted with a chuckle. Silently, Elinor agreed. She had never seen the compassionate side of her eldest sister. Her older sister, Nymeria tells her that Obara used to coddle her when she was young, but Elinor didn't believe her.

"Obara is my sister, hate me or not, we're family. Willas is a cripple and his family blames you," Elinor pointed out, "The best way to get back at you is to kill me."

"Or," Oberyn proposes, "The best way to make peace, is to give Willas a bride. Unite our houses."

Elinor can't help but smile at her father. He was a brilliant man, maybe too horny for his own good, but Elinor loved and respected him. Her father, however, was no politician. Elinor knew there was no way that Oberyn would give her, his trueborn daughter, to the Tyrells.

"Did Uncle Doran come up with this?" Elinor asked her father.

"Maybe," Oberyn said, "But I agree with him. You're beautiful, intelligent, and you have a title."

"A princess?" Elinor teased with a tiny smile. Her father chuckled, wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

"Yes. You are a Princess of Dorne, and soon you will be Lady of Highgarden," Oberyn says, "With the Tyrells with our allies, we can get what we have been waiting for."

Elinor's eyes flickered to the floor. It was something everyone danced around, but secretly seethed over. The death of her Aunt Elia and her two children. Elinor was only a baby when her Aunt had been murdered, but she knew that anyone that had wronged the Martells never went unpunished.

"Justice," she whispered.

Oberyn nodded, "I've written Willas and he said he'd love to meet you."

Elinor knew she wasn't being given much of a choice. To deny was to lose her family an ally. To accept, she was putting her own life in danger. Elinor wasn't brave, she was far from it. It was her sisters who fought their battles, while Elinor cowered behind silence. She spent more time with her Uncle, learning, than she did with her sisters fighting.