Chapter 26 - Novichok

Aspen's POV

"Everest, stop," I whispered as his arm snaked around my waist. He pulled me closer as I maintained the plastered smile on my face. With every breath, I could smell his cologne that made my head spin. 

"What's wrong?" he asked, his eyes never leaving the high-ranking officials sipping wine in front of us. 

"They'll get suspicious," I hissed, pushing his chest. 

"Relax, they don't know who Beatrice is, let alone the fact that I'm getting married. Let me relish my final days as a single man," he whispered back. 

"Are you using me to "relish your final days"," I snapped, giving him an irritated look. 

"With you dressed like a Queen, what else am I supposed to do?" he smirked. 

Ladies and gentleman, it was lovely to have you this year. See you next year...

or not. 

I felt my face flush red as I pinched his forearm earning a hiss from him. 

I was dressed in a black evening gown with 3-inch heels under my feet. Everest still stood much taller than me, dressed in a black suit and tie. 

As I stood beside him, a part of me couldn't help but feel guilty. 

My place wasn't beside him. 

That place was reserved for Beatrice and Beatrice alone. 

She would be Queen in less than two days' time. 

"How did you meet her?" I asked as we walked through the courthouse towards the dining hall. 

"Not now," he replied, his tone suddenly turning cold. 

"Yes now, I've got all night."

"Leave it," he said lowly, his grip on my waist tightening. 

"Come on, was it romantic? Walking through the gardens and you saw the most beautiful woman in the world and it made your heart stop. And then boom, she was standing in front of you," I dramatized, enjoying the way Everest seemed to get even more irritated. 

"It was nothing like that," he replied, walking faster. 

"You should at least be happy you're getting married to the love of your life, even if she is a bi- sorry," I muttered, cursing myself for not having a filter. 

"That's the problem. She isn't the love of my life," he gritted out before pulling away from me. 

I suddenly felt cold as he stormed away from me towards the drink table. 

A sigh escaped my lips as my eyes scanned the slowly filling room. 

Yellow tinted lights dimly lit up the banquet hall where food was being served. My stomach churned at the thought of eating in that moment. 

There were far more important things at the moment that were occupying my mind. Everest didn't have a care in the world as he wandered over to officials seated at a round table. 

A charming smile replaced the sour look he had on his face when he walked away from me. 

What a kissup. 

I watched him as he exchanged a firm handshake with an old man dressed in a navy blue suit. Everest's eyes flickered over to me, catching my gaze. 

I raised a brow at him and he responded with a quick wink. 

I jumped as someone tapped my shoulder. I turned away from Everest, but not before I spotted a small frown replace his smile. 

"Yes?"