Chapter 29 - Rosé

Third Person's POV

Aspen's gaze followed Beatrice as she came to stand beside Everest. 

She looks like every other bitch- not now Aspen. Be nice. 

She zoned out as the archbishop began to speak. Her fingers fiddled with the satin material of her dress. 

"I object."

So do I- wait what?

A collective gasp came from the guests as everyone turned around. 

"You will do no such thing," another voice spat, the sound of wood scraping tile echoing through the silent throne room. 

The former King stood, a murderous expression on his face as he glared. The former Queen didn't bat an eye as she gave him a glare of her own. 

Aspen found herself holding her breath as she glanced between the two. Her eyes flickered to Everest, only to find him already looking at her intently. 

His brows furrowed as he watched the scene unfold, Beatrice beside him with a furious expression. 

Just as he came face to face with the former Queen, Aspen placed herself between the warring sides. With her head held high, Anastasia held her husbands gaze. She wasn't going to back down. 

She had made one too many mistakes and their burdens falling upon her only son. She couldn't add anymore weight to his shoulders. 

Although fear coursed through her veins, she stood defiant in front of Liam. She let out the breath she didn't realize she was holding when Aspen came to stand behind her silently. 

Anastasia knew that even if no one in the Kingdom believed her, Aspen would. 

She knew the truth. 

And for that, the queen was grateful. 

Aspen knew what a horrible man her husband was. What atrocities he'd committed in their time apart. 

Above all, she knew he was behind the kidnapping plot that almost cost them their lives. 

"Move little girl," Liam hissed, thirsty for violence. 

"I suggest you step away," Aspen said lowly. 

Everest held his breath. She had given herself away. 

His father did little to hide the surprise as he heard the foreign accent leave her lips. 

"Guards! Take her away," he demanded, the vein in his neck standing out. 

No one moved. 

"I said, take. Her. Away."

Aspen smirked as the guards shifted uneasily. They didn't carry out his orders. 

They only responded to Everest and Everest only. 

The guards looked to their King for guidance as Everest trained his gaze on the raven haired girl. 

"Throw him out," was all he said before walking out. 

-----------------------------------------

Everest didn't respond to the knock at his door. He lay motionless on his bed, watching the sun set over the horizon. 

"Can I come in?" his sisters muffled voice came from behind the door. 

He didn't respond.

"I'm coming in," Zoe huffed and the sound of locks clicking was heard.