Chapter 37 - Breathe

Everest's POV

There was an odd sense of silence around me when I finally sat down peacefully. 

The British Consulate of Marseille was empty, yet chaotic. 

Members from various governments and departments milled about, panicking over the mayhem that my father unleashed. 

People tried to interrogate me as soon as I walked in, but all I wanted to do was fall asleep. 

I wanted a warm shower, a fresh change of clothes, and to fall asleep with Aspen by my side. 

I wanted to hear her laugh again. I loved the way she would roll her eyes as she laughed at something stupid. 

The way she would frown whenever she disagreed with something I said. 

The way her dark eyes always seemed to know something I didn't. 

I was tired of everything. 

I just wanted a break, some time to catch my breath. 

All my life I was constantly having an internal battle, all because of the asshole that was my father. 

But now it was all over. And for once, I felt like I could breathe a bit better. 

"Everest!" 

My eyes flew open at the sound of my name. Suddenly a pair of arms wrapped around me and kisses peppered my face. 

"Mum, that's a bit much," I chuckled, leaning away from her. 

"Shut up, I deserve at least this," my mother huffed, holding my face. 

Her eyes flickered over me, checking for any injuries. I hadn't told her what happened to the Palace. I didn't know how she would react. 

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. How are you feeling?"

"Other than a headache I feel great," she replied, relief evident on her face. 

"Zoe?"

"She's with Connor in the canteen," she said, nodding her head at the door. 

"Any word on Aspen?" I asked quietly. 

My mother shook her head sympathetically, patting my shoulder. 

"She's lost a lot of blood and her body is weak. But she's a fighter Ev, you know that."

I scoffed at her statement, suddenly feeling bittersweet. 

"Why don't you go get something to eat, I'll keep the hounds away," she said, referring to the nosy officials that wanted to hear my side of the story. 

The canteen was relatively empty. I felt nostalgic as it suddenly reminded me of the school canteens where I would eat my lunch as a child. 

It wasn't hard to spot Connor's head at the far end of the room. My sister sat across from him, her arms wrapped around herself. 

She jumped when she saw me, running full speed towards me. 

"Ow," I complained when she bumped into my chest, throwing her arms around my neck. 

Like typical Zoe, the days events didn't stop her from slapping my arm repeatedly. 

"You are so stupid! What were you thinking running off like that? Mum almost had a heart attack, you should've seen her!"

"I had to, you know that," I replied, my tone immediately shutting her up. 

"How is she?" she asked hesitantly, fiddling with a strand of hair.