Chapter Four: Snatcher and Portley-Rind

In the guild on the entrance hill, Snatcher approaches the foot of the main stairs with the girls trying to keep up with his adult legs. Snatcher calls out. "Lord Portley-Rind!"

Winnie winces. The girls turns to Snatcher who is admiring the white hat again. Winnie speaks desperately knowing this will be her fault. "Can I have the hat back now?" Snatcher puts the hat behind his back, grins and pulls Winnie, who is closest up the stairs by her wrist, toward the Tasting Room. "Please."

"Hey! Don't pull my sister like that!" (Name) angrily says worried for her sister and is about to kick him where the sun don't shine when Portley-Rind bursts out to see Snatcher ascending the stairs.

"What in Gouda’s name is going on? Archibald Snatcher?"

"Deepest apologies, your Lordship. But I found something out in the  street that belongs to you." Snatcher gestures behind him revealing a sheepish Winnie and an angry (Name). As he turns he also reveals the white hat. Portley-Rind rushes down the stairs to meet Snatcher half way and grabs the hat instead of worrying for his daughters.

"My White Hat!" Winnie looks stricken that her father still didn't care enough for them to ask or scold them about going outside. As Portley-Rind pulls on the hat, Snatcher refuses to let it  go, so they tug each other up and down the stairs. "I’ll take that... Now, now,  Snatcher one doesn’t acquire a white hat by simply- picking it up... off the street." Portley-Rind finally wins the tussle and grabs the hat back. He growls under his breath at the smudges left on the brim.

(Name) watches her father in dismay pulling her sadden little sister to her and their father says with emphasis. "A white hat indicates privilege, prestige, position! It must be earned." He removes a handkerchief from his breast pocket and dabs at the hat’s brim.

From the top of the stairs the other Guild members chime in. "With Valor!"

"Chivalry!"

"Or being rich! That’s how I got it."

"Snobs." (Name) says under her breathe. Snatcher looks up at them and bows, removing his red hat.

"Oh, don’t I know it, sirs." Snatcher climbs the stairs and gets face to face with Portley-Rind. "Fortunately, we still have our little... agreeeeement."

Portley-Rind grimaces, remembering the agreement. "Um.. ehhh..." Snatcher opens his arms, gesturing widely, as he recites the particulars of the deal.

"When I destroy every last boxtroll  in this town, I shall earn my white hat... and join you in the Tasting  Room." Snatcher takes a step toward the Tasting Room door and looks longingly into its warm, inviting interior. The White Hats reach back and slam the doors shut. Snatcher’s face falls.

"Good lord." Lord Portley-Rind twists his mustache. "Not sure who should be more terrified- the boxtrolls or us." The White Hats chuckle. Snatcher’s expression drops into a scowl. Portley-Rind puts his hat back on. "Now, how the devil did my hat get outside in the first place?"

Snatcher smirks and gestures toward the girls particularly to the youngest one who's known to do things like this. "I was told the wind had something to do with it."

"The wind, eh?" Portley-Rind looks at the girls and frowns.

"It's not her fau-"

"Father, I’m sorry-"

Snatcher interrupts Winnie. "Sorry! Can’t stay. Too much work to do." He doffs hat. "Miss Portley-Rinds, your Lordship, Sirs. I bid you good night. I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again very, very soon."

Snatcher oozes out the door. Portley-Rind looks at the girls and shakes his head. "Hmmmm... girls."

Winnie is about to defend herself along with (Name) who prepares to save he sister when Snatcher pops his head back in and points to his head. "Don’t forget. I’m a size six-and-ahalf. Order ahead." As he finally leaves, his hat gets caught in the door and he lets out a frustrated growl.

Winnie pleads her case from the foot of the stair case as the White Hats return to their cheese. "Father, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to. Well, at first I did, but I think this situation offers a great opportunity for a father and daughters to discuss their feelings-" Portley-Rind rolls his eyes and turns back to the Tasting Room. "WAIT! We saw something out there. A boy with boxtrolls-"

"Not another word."

"But Father I really."

"Beds!" Portley-Rind shuts the door leaving (Name) alone to comfort her little sister. Winnie looks back towards the front doors and to her sister.

"We did see a boy... right?"

"Yes, we did..."