Chapter Sixteen: Dance

(Name), with a new clean gown and her sister runs up towards Eggs while avoiding people who're asking them to dance.

"There you are."

"We have to get to your father!"

"You can’t just cut through." (Name) sizes up the situation: Portley-Rind across the room, the dance floor between them.

Suddenly Winnie's face brightens. "We’ll dance!"

"We’ll WHAT?"

"Sister." Winnie turns to (Name) who is suddenly pulled by someone into the dance floor. "Nevermind, let's just go." Winnie grabs Eggs by the shoulders and pulls him onto the dance floor, joining the swirling lines of waltzing  couples. 

"(Name), lovely to see you again." The boy who is dancing with (Name) says with a charming smile. "You know, my father and Lord Portley-Rind might just agree to elope us."

"Sure, they may do that but I'll always find a way to get out of it."

"Oh sure, you would, love." The boy smirks and (Name) rolls her eyes at this, she breaks the eye contact to hear her sister and Eggs enjoying themselves which made her smile.

The partners shift and (Name) moves to dance with Eggs. "She's Snatcher." Eggs informs the girl, she looks to where the boy is looking at to see Madame Frou Frou.

She chuckle. "That's really twisted."

"Why are you laughing?"

"You'll know when you get older." (Name) says with a smile while leading them towards while skilfully dodging Snatcher. "Just relax and pretend the crossdresser isn't trying to get you. Trust me."

"Okay." Eggs nods.

(Name) sees Snatcher getting closer so she covers for Eggs while he hides and goes towards the Lord who's sniffing and caressing his giant cheese, oblivious to the chase happening right below him.

(Name) partners up again with Vincent while worrying for Eggs as he races up the stairs on all fours, his feral side coming through.

Vincent raises an eyebrow and looks at the boy on the stairs as Madame Frou Frou grabs his leg. "Your friend I assume?"

"Yep."

Snatcher shoves Eggs and send him flying right into the giant cheese wheel. The wheel rocks off its pedestal, and rolls down the stairs!

"NO NO NO NO NOOOO!" Lord Portley-Rind chases after the cheese, trying to stop it. Everyone stops dancing and watches as the cheese wheel rolls through the foyer. The butler opens the door and it rolls out  the front door... Down the Guild steps... through the Market Square... down the streets... lower and lower, until it’s out of view. A splash is heard as it reaches the river.

(Name)'s partner chuckles at the scene. "I really don't get where this cheese enthusiasm comes from but someone's in trouble."

"Shut up, Vincent." (Name) and Winnie says. Winnie pulls her sister away from the boy and towards Eggs.

Portley-Rind stands frozen in shock at the foot of the  stairs. "What have you done!?"

Eggs begins to speak... haltingly at first... but then  growing in confidence. "Lord Winnie’s Father..."

The crowd and Portley-Rind all turn and stare at Eggs as Winnie halts from walking to hear what the boy is about to say.

"People of the upper world! Archibald Snatcher has lied to you all!" Frou Frou/Snatcher looks at the crowd and gulps! "He told you that boxtrolls are monsters- that they steal children- but they don’t. They would never hurt anyone. I know because... "

Eggs looks to the girls. They smile and nod, encouraging him. "Because... I am the Trubshaw Baby!"

A long beat. Close on Lord Portley-Rind as he seems to be thinking intensely... "Do you know how expensive that  cheese was?"

"What?!"

"We might as well have built a  children’s hospital!"

"Did you hear a word he said?!" Winnie yells annoyed at her father's disinterested in the real problems 

He dismisses Winnie. "Not now." 

"But father-"

The lord points to White Hats. "Have you any idea how long it will take my men to fish it out of the river?!" The White Hats look worried. Vincent rolls Boulanger forward in his wheelchair and adjusts his hearing horn.

"Ahh. What?"

"The river, grandfather. You're going to fish out the cheese."

"Eww... the river?"

Eggs moves down the stairs. "If you won’t listen to me, ask Snatcher himself." Eggs pulls off Snatcher's wig. A long beat, as Snatcher looks caught.

The crowd is shock. "GASP!/ Oh my!"

Madame Frou Frou whimpers. "You have me. I am not a  true red head."

"Poor woman."

"For shame."

Now the crowd turns angry. "How rude!"

"The lad’s fuddled!"

"An  outrage!" 

"The very thought!"

"I saw him bite a bug on a cracker!"

"He must hate cheese!"

"He’s a mad  man!"

"I believe her’s wearing a lamp shade as a sleeve!"

(Name) facepalms in annoyance as the boy who he danced with earlier, laughs in the background while trying to stop Winnie from hitting him.

"CAN'T YOU PEOPLE SEE THE REAL PROBLEM HERE?!" (Name) yells out but her voice is drowned out by the crown.

"Nasty boy!"

"Oh, he’s awful!"

"That’s the one who crawled under my dress!"

"I knew he was up to no good the second he goosed me."

"My husband is angry so I am too!"

Portley-Rind angrily climbs the stairs to Eggs. "You insult our guest of honor?" He grabs the wig away from Eggs. "Who are you?!"

"He is with us father." Winnie says stopping from kicking Vincent.

"You know this... creature?"

(Name) goes towards in front of her father. "What in hell, father!? He our friend. Please stop referring him like he's an animal."

Winnie nods defending her friend. "And what he said is  true-"

"Enough!"

"But..."

"(Name)! Winifred!" Winnie gives in and bows her head while (Name) glares at her father. Eggs is stunned and hurt. Portley-Rind rolls his eyes at his daughter and turns on Eggs". I don’t want to see you again, do you hear me?"

"But he’s not a..."

"Leave my house. Now!"

Eggs walks slowly down the stairs. As he passes, Frou  Frou/Snatcher smiles an evil grin. Eggs glares at Snatcher and walks past Winnie without even looking at her and lastly to (Name) who looks like she's about to try out of anger.

(Name) is about to follow her new friend when her mother and some other lady holds her hand and blocks her path.

The crowd shuffles away from Eggs as he walks out the door. The butler wordlessly shuts it behind him.
The music begins again and the crowd goes back to chatting. Portley-Rind hands the wig back to Madame Frou Frou and leads her down the stairs.