Chapter Thirteen: Fathers

A moment after that happens (Name) and her sister decides to go check up on the boy.

Eggs sits alone on the edge of his nook, looking out over the cavern. (Name) with Winnie quietly walks up and sits next to him.

Winnie says. "I think that kind man was your father." Eggs looks up confused of the word.

"What’s a father?"

(Name) has to think real hard since her father isn't a father to her at all. After a beat she explains. "A father is the one who raises you... looks after you. Loves you."

"Oh! Like Fish."

"Yes..." Winnie looks at Fish, who bends down to lap water from a bucket of water like a dog. "... No. They’re supposed to be like that man in the story. Someone  who’ll do anything to help you. They always listen and never get angry..." Winnie stops suddenly feeling sadness and (Name) rubs Winnie's shoulder.

(Name) continues. "They guide you when you don’t know what to do. They’re there when it’s dark and you’re scared or lonely, and they are never, ever too busy to talk to you."

"You both have a father!" Eggs says then stands, bouncing excitedly. "We can tell him I’m the Trubshaw  Baby... and the boxtrolls didn’t eat me. And he’ll stop Snatcher!"

(Name) thinks for a minute. "That can happen but..."

"He doesn't listen to children." Winnie says thinking about their selfish father.

"He’s a father, isn’t he?"

"He might be a father but not really that kind of the father who'll love you but would sell you for cheese." (Name) says from experience.

"But he’s the only father we have." Eggs grabs (Name) by the shoulders much to Winnie's annoyance since she's leaning to her for support. The boy seeing the little sister's annoyance made him release the girl. "Please help us."

"Well, Winnie? Are you gonna help me help them?" Winnie sighs and nods. She and her sister stand to meet Eggs, eyeing him.

"If we agree to help, you have to do exactly as we say."

"I promise!"

"You need a makeover." (Name) smiles gesturing his messy appearance.

"All right, first thing’s first... off with the box." Eggs gulps already regretting but for his family, he'll do what the girls demands.