Chapter Five: Eggs

The younger girl sits on her sister's bed with her older sister brushing her hair. "Why was the boy with the boxtrolls?" (Name) hums brushing her little sister's hair while listening to her rumble about the boy they saw. "Why do you think he's with them?"

"Well, he didn't seem like he was captured by them but we can't be certain." (Name) is also curious about the boy. "The only way to find out is to speak to him..."

Winnie glances at her older sister. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to find him." The girl answers without hesitation with a determined expression on her face causing Winnie to gasp. "Maybe he can teach me about the boxtrolls."

"Don't tell me you're going to the sewer!" She said worried what might happen to her sister and said in a low voice with a scared expression. "But what if... what if the boxtrolls kill you?! Or worse what if IT is in there?"

"Well, little sister, me and Winter can scare them off including It." (Name) jokingly says mentioning her samoyed dog. "And if that doesn't work then I'm relaying on you to drag me out."

Winnie thinks about their dog. "I hope Winter is okay..."

"He's fine and he can go inside the house now." (Name) says thinking about how she made the dog steal their father's cheese and she felt guilty about using her dog but in was worth it after seeing their father's expression.

Meanwhile, Eggs climbs up toward the manhole. He has to squint at the bright sunlight. He Looks up at the manhole until the bright light fills his eye view. As he goes into the light, the sound of the streets of a bustling city gets louder and louder.

In the street a heavy cast iron manhole as it grinds open.  Blinding sunlight pours in and Eggs’ dirty face peeks out. His eyes go wide. He's amazed at what he's seeing. "Wow..." KLANG! A fat man steps on the manhole cover and slams it shut. "Ahh!"

A beat. The manhole opens again 'KLANG!!', and again is  slammed shut as it is driven over, by a cart that stops. Eggs shoves the manhole open and clambers out. For a second he’s reassured at how calm it is then the cart moves off and  he is left crouching in the middle of a busy street. He looks  up and is blinded by the sun's harsh glare.

Drum beats and a cymbal crash! Eggs jumps out of the way as a one man band marches through, almost running him over. He's pushed and shoved by a festive crowd. "AHHHH!!!"

''Outta the way!" And he does until he backs into an old timey backdrop painted with lurid images of monstrous boxtrolls stealing a wailing baby. The photographer yells to interested people he can make business with. "Get yer picture taken with the Trubshaw Baby! A humorous keepsake for this dark and dreadful day!"

"Ahhh!... Ekk!" Eggs stumbles backwards into the crowd where he is crushed between pedestrians until he is lifted off the ground and carried along. "Ehh! Oof. Eek!"
Above Eggs the bright sun distorts the faces in the crowd  like in a fever dream. Eggs is carried along, his feet lifted off of the ground by the bustling crowd. "Hey. Oww!"
The crowd parts and he is dropped to the ground at the foot of a stage with a loud OOF!