18 Moon Garden

Erik~~

"I wondered when you'd finally be back." Rydersin stands at the foot of her bed, her arms crossed, looking more the part of a stern mother than a woman who is roughly the same age as me.

            Meilin and Xiaozhi slink off before Rydersin can turn her attention to them, and I'm left with only Karn for backup—Karn who immediately says, "Erik has a meeting with the Tresais."

At the mention of my impending story time, the mead in my stomach churns.

            Rydersin sinks onto the edge of the bed, her hands placed behind her, propping her up. "Really?"

            "He—uh—wants to hear about Odette." I curse my hesitation, my nerves. Odette is locked up in a prison. It's not as if standing in front of a mirror and saying her name will allow her to break free.

            Besides I doubt I'm at the top of her hit list; though, I am the only one who'd be on that list that's on the same planet as her.

            I squirm.

            "Everything all right, Blackwood?" Rydersin asks.

            "Why wouldn't it? Who doesn't love telling stories about murderesses?"

"I thought heroes loved sharing the stories of their legendary adventures."

Hero. A word that's so foreign in regard to me. Heroes don't have ulterior motives. All those times I saved Iris, I had hoped I could use her against my family. But the first time, when I pulled her away from the car, I didn't know who she was, didn't know it was her Expiration Date.

I was her hero for a few minutes then? Wasn't I? And at first, I had just wanted to walk away. Leave her to her final hours.

And in France—I was a hero, I suppose. Though I feel as if everyone did twice as much as I did. Having the title of hero applied to me makes me uncomfortable, like an itch under the laces of your shoe. It reminds me how undeserving I am.

"Blackwood?" Rydersin looks concerned now.

"I'm fine. I speak to the Tresais in the morning. Excuse me." I nod to her and Karn and turn to leave.

"Wait."

I hesitate, one foot forward. "Yes?"

"Walk with me?" she asks, already approaching.

"I'm coming to learn I'm not very good company."

"Nonsense." She threads her arm through mine. Having her this close, feeling her pressed against me, sends my head reeling. There's the faintest scent of vanilla coming from her.

"Rydersin," Karn sounds alarmed, "should I come along?"

"You may turn in for the night."

He bows, and I feel his eyes on my neck until we exit the bedroom. Neither of us speaking, I follow her lead. As we walk in silence, she seems at ease while I feel like I might jump out of my own skin.

She takes the stairs, leading us down to the first floor. An Amoris, clothed in a silken dress, walks by, blearily nodding at us.

In front of us are a set of doors leading to the backyard of the Preeminence's home. Through the glass doors neon lights glow like stars fallen to the ground. As I hold the door open, she asks, "How are you feeling?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" She's the one whose dreams now rest in the hands of others.

She smiles softly, her face illuminated by the lights of the garden. A creek has been carved into the ground, the orange water of the lake flowing through it. Lights must be placed along the creek's bed because the water glows.