22 An Heir to Unite Us

Colton~~

We eat dinner with the Order. Not their families who eat at other tables. They probably aren't usually separated like this as I imagine they don't often have Expired Preeminences and their families over often.

We're in the middle of the table that's fixed in the center of the room. Vienna is on my right, Percy my left, and Jonas and Iris are across from me. Beside Iris are two empty seats separating her from the Epsilon. The Preeminence and Beta are at the heads of the table.

The first course has yet to be served. Only our glasses have been filled with wine that is better than any I've had on Earth.

Ever since my brother and Iris told us Erik is here, I've been waiting for him to come and find us, to appear at any moment, but he never showed up, and when I asked a Konkursi where I could find him, they told me they didn't know.

Vienna nudges my ankle with the tip of her shoe.

"Can I help you?"

"Could you at least attempt to look like you're not contemplating murder?"

I hold my glass close to my lips. "I'll try," I mutter before taking a sip, regretting it as my stomach clenches, demanding food before more alcohol.

I'm going to sound like Sebastian—of all people—but they could at least have already had bread sitting out.

From my seat, I face the door through which we entered the dining room. Percy is in the perfect position for him and Elisana whose table runs along ours to make accidental eye contact. And I'm at the perfect spot to be subjected to that torment.

The dining room door opens, and two Veil enter, followed by a woman wearing a laurel wreath crown . . . and Erik. He casts his gaze across the room before his eyes snap to mine.

My mouth goes dry, my throat tightening. It hasn't been long since I last saw him, but when you grow up living with someone, studying and training with them, days apart feel like weeks, weeks feel like months, and months feel like years.

Three more Veil enter the room behind them.

Erik and the woman, who must be Rydersin Torellea, are led to our table. Percy stands when they reach the open spot beside Iris. Does he want to hug Erik? Our cousin is still a traitor to the Society. We can't forget that.

Ever.

The woman crowned with the laurel wreath turns to one of the five Veil. "What about my Veil?"

The Amorian looks uncomfortable. "Veil don't typically eat with the family unless by invitation."

"If there is no room at this table, then please find spots for them at other tables. If a Moretti were to visit another Order, would anyone insist they be separated from their Veil?"

The Veil bows. "No, Ms. Torellea. I will make sure your request is met."

So it is the woman who wishes to be Preeminence.

"Thank you."

Once the five Veil walk away, and Erik can no longer use that as an excuse to be distracted, he turns to us, offering only a morose look before pulling out Rydersin's seat.

Why didn't he come to find us? Has he really separated himself from us in not only distance but in his heart as well?

When the two of them sit, a door at the side of the room opens, and Konkursi bring out dishes filled with soup.

"How have you been, Erik?" Percy leans forward—imperceptible to probably anyone but me. "How has it been here for you?"

A Konkursi fills Erik's glass with a deep red wine.