28 Fabric

Jonas~~

The last time I saw a clock, it said it was after one in the morning. Beside me in our corner of the ballroom, Iris has her hand on my shoulder for balance as she slips off her shoes. The ball will probably go on for at least another hour.

"I'm not sure I can make it through another dance." One shoe off, she starts on the next.

We've been bombarded with requests to dance. At first we tried to decline them until the Delta reminded us we aren't in a position to say no.

She stifles a yawn. "Have you seen Percy?"

I furrow my brows as I try to recall when it was I last saw him. "Not in a while. Why?"

"He had asked if I wanted to dance later but then I haven't seen him since."

I scan the ballroom, searching for his face among the dancers and other attendees but don't see him; though, from where we stand, I can't see everyone.

"Do you think anyone else will ask us to dance?"

I roll my shoulders back. I'm not usually sore from balls, but tonight, each time we're forced to dance with someone else, I tense up. "I hope—"

"Jonas! There you are," Andrew's voice calls from behind me. Do I even want to know why my cousin who tried murdering me was looking for me?

As I turn around, Iris slides her shoes back on.

Basile stands beside Andrew. They're both dressed in black tuxes.

"Can I help you?"

Andrew nods and runs a hand through his curly hair. "We need to speak with Colton."

"Do I look like Colton?"

"Well . . ." Basile tilts his head. "You do actually." Iris fails to cover her snort, and I suppose I walked into that one.

"I haven't seen him. I'd suggest you check any closets you find."

Andrew arches a brow.

I let out weary sigh. "Wherever he is, he'll be with Vienna. I don't think I need to explain what my brother would be doing in a closet with her."

Andrew rolls his eyes, and Basile grabs his arm.

"Let's go," he says gently to my cousin in French.

Andrew takes a step back. "If you see him, tell him I need to speak with him."

The pair turnsONLYONWATTPADBENDERand makes their way across the room in the direction I last saw Erik.

Iris slips her arm through mine, and I lean down, pressing a kiss to the top of her head.

"I miss home," she says, resting her head against my shoulder.

Whenever she refers to the Estate as home, I feel warmth; I feel my heart swell, but this time, hearing that she's homesick leaves me gutted at the same time that I feel pride in her seeing my home as hers.

"When Colton returns to Elleany, you should go with him."

She jerks back as if I slapped her. "How can you say that?"

"I can't watch you suffer. You're safe with the Society, with my cousins. But here I just—"

"Jonas." She places her hand on my cheek. "I will never leave you." Her face is drawn tight. "Do you understand? I'm. Not. Leaving. You."