19 The Head Order

Part 2

Cassiopeia

Iris~~

When I take my first step onto Amoria, there isn't the rushing whirlwind of emotions I expected to face. I'm scared, yes. Terrified, absolutely, but there isn't the I'm-taking-my-first-step-on-another-planet sensation I'm pretty certain I should be experiencing.

Jonas's hand clutches mine. Vienna, Colton, and Percy stand behind us on the bottom steps of the plane's stairs.

The blue-sky overhead is the same as Earth's if not a little lighter in hue. The air is crisp, snowflakes flurrying in the air. In the distance are gray storm clouds.

At the center of Borilia is Amoria's north pole. None of the five of us has the proper attire for being this far north. Both Percy and Colton brought a suit, but folded into bags, they were wrinkled.

In the past few days, the steamer got a lot of use. Jonas's suit at least wasn't quite as creased and wrinkled in his bag.

Vienna and I are both in tight black pants. Our long-back blazers don't do much to shield us from the cold. Our high heels do nothing at all.

Across the tarmac is a large building made of a greenish-blue tinged glass. Before stepping outside the plane, Jonas told me it's the airport's terminal. He's been here before.

Waiting for us is a sleek silver car. It's edges smoother than most vehicles I've seen in Elleany. Behind it are two similar cars but black instead of silver.

"Where's the Order?" I say. Only a driver stands outside of the silver car.

Jonas's jaw tightens.

"It's a message," Colton says. "They want us to know they don't view us as being their time."

"You mean me." Jonas starts walking toward the cars, me at his side.

"Not everything is about him." Colton's voice is lower, probably intending to only speak to Vienna and Percy, and I don't have to be looking at the Beta to know he's rolling his eyes.

"It literally is about him," Percy says. "I'm sure he'd be happy to have some of the attention directed at you."

Colton huffs, and I squeeze Jonas's hand.

"I've got you," I say.

Jonas works his jaw. "Thank you."

Attendants from the plane load our luggage into the silver car while the driver opens the door for us.

Having to be in the same plane with Alessi for two weeks was torture. We remained in Alastair's room as much as possible. As I duck into the car, I spot Alessi heading for one of the black ones. A small bit of the tension in my shoulders releases.