69 Home

Erik~~

Rydersin's home smells of roses, of her. Behind me, Karn, Meilin, and Xioazhi walk through the front doors, carrying no luggage, all of it left behind in Gadfrie.

The mansion is as pearlescent as before. Through the far windows, the lakes gleam, sparkling in the setting sun's pink and purple rays.

Rydersin shuts the doors behind her, drawing my attention. "Elisana's made it to the airport with your cousin and his husband. She said there were no problems."

Something painful tightens in my stomach. They'll be on their way to Earth soon. "And the rest of my family?"

She hesitates as she steps toward me, as if approaching a frightened animal. "They're still on their way. If you want to see them off, we can make it happen."

I know she's right. If I really wanted to, I could. And it's tempting. But saying goodbye again isn't going to make letting them go any easier. In the tunnel there wasn't time to get sad, there wasn't room for it, not when my anger was consuming me. Put me in front of them with that ship that I can only board if I promise to stay away from Elleany and I might just break.

And worst of all, what if I go and draw the Head Order's attention to them, and I become the reason they can't go home?

No. I slide my arm along her back, grounding myself. It's for the best that I stay here. Because I am happy here, around these people who make me feel wanted and needed. Around us the crystal furniture glitters in the rays of the sun that stream through the windows, their rainbows casting onto the faces of my friends. Xioazhi. Meilin. Karn. And Rydersin.

My eyes lock with hers, and they're expectant, waiting, and yet patient. She smiles.

"I don't wish to leave here." I squeeze her hip. "Would you show me my new home?"

Her smiles grows. "I'd love to."

Together, the four of them show me every single room in the mansion, introducing me to all the various servants who are currently on the clock.

They end the tour with the room I'm to call mine.

The walls and floor are made of a polished black marble threaded through with pearl. The ceiling is made of the same marble but instead of the pearl veining through it, it's studded across it, mapping out Amoria's constellations. In the center of the back wall is a black bed draped in a silver spread. To the left are a set of balcony doors. Nothing in this room holds any meaning to me, but one day it will be filled with my clothes, my books, trinkets that hold memories.

Over the fireplace mantel hangs a large mirror, capturing us inside of it. I catch Rydersin's gaze.

"If it's not to your tastes, it can be remodeled."

"The walls, ceiling, and floor will be a bit difficult to change though," Karn says, and Meilin elbows him in the side.

"What he means to say is he'd be happy to help with the remodel."

I shake my head. "I love it."

Xioazhi claps her hands together. "Good. Because I'm starving."

After taking dinner in the dining room, so shiny and bright and with such luscious and succulent food that I thought I may have mistaken my Expiration Date and was actually in Heaven, we gather on the pool deck around the fire pit that Karn lights. The flames shimmer in the glaze of the marble pebbles filling the pit. Meilin passes me a bottle of wine ,and I let myself drink from it, the sweetness of the white liquid rich on my tongue.

When I lower it, Rydersin sticks out her hand, and I pass her the bottle. She takes a long drink from it, and as she pulls it away from her lips, her shoulders relax.

Xioazhi takes the bottle from her, and she gives Rydersin a roguish look. "I'm sharing wine with the next Preeminence."

"Careful." Karn tucks his arm around Meilin, and she leans against his side. "She might let it go to her head and keep the wine to herself."

Rydersin slides her hand over mine, and I flip my hand over to thread my fingers through hers. "Thank you all," she says. "I know these past weeks haven't been easy."

"We would never leave you, Rydersin." Meilin's eyes are earnest, and if the fire weren't between them, I think she would reach across the space and grab Rydersin's other hand. "You're our friend."

I tighten my hold on Rydersin. "It's what friends do, you know."

She brushes her thumb against mine. "Are you happy?" she asks. She's lowered her voice, but the others would still have been able to hear her question.

"Was that not obvious?" I press a kiss to her bare shoulder and bring her hand to my lips kissing the back of her hand. "It took all of you for me to realize I had been miserable on Amoria, and that being away from my family was not as freeing as I thought it would be. So . . ." I kiss her hand again, and Karn says something about us getting a room. I ignore him, my focus trained on her. "I hope you're prepared to deal with me for all eternity."

"I think I can handle that." She leans her head on my shoulder and stays there. As Meilin steals the bottle from Karn and raises it to her lips, her purple eyes shining and the fire bathes me in its warmth, I'm taken by a feeling that I've been grieving since the night Molly died at my side. It wraps me in its invisible arms and holds tight. I've been chasing it every single day, sometimes without realizing it, other times so desperately it's enough to make me sick.

But tonight, it's finally here and I no longer have to cross oceans and stars to find it.

I'm home.

So this was an important chapter for me, and I can't exactly say why because spoilers, but you may be able to guess.

Also I'm going to Montreal for the first time this weekend! Do you have any recommendations?