62 Insurance

Jonas~~

They looked right at us and didn't see us.

            The space where Colton, Vienna, and Percy stood between the two staircases is empty. From where they stood, they would have only seen stone. It's what Iris and I had seen until the wall parted revealing a Konkursi and a small room. He told us to wait inside with him until the Order was ready to see us.

            Neither of us wanted to go into the dark scary room, and when we didn't move to go inside, Veil appeared and shoved us into the room. The wall slid back in place before we could even turn around.

            On this side, the wall looks like dirty glass. I can see some of that stone that disguises the room.

            Minutes ago, Colton had tried to make a call. Whether or not he was calling me, it made me realize I had left my phone in the room. It wasn't exactly the most pressing thing on my mind at the time.

            The Konkursi steps past us. "The Order will see you now." He presses his hand to the wall, and it parts for him. He walks across the small in-between space and opens the door to the Senate chamber. Through the doors my eyes lock with the dark purple ones of the Preeminence. From where I stand, I can see five of the Order members, each seated in their thrones.

            My heart pounding, Iris and I walk inside the chamber, her fingers grazing mine. We take our places before the Order of Gadfrie. I don't see the Head Order.

            I do my best to appear calm, though my fate as the leader of Elleany is about to be handed down to me, and I suspect I already know the answer. 

            The Preeminence stands. "Jonas."

            My heart sinks at hearing my name.

            "You came before us already," he continues. "And none of us knew what you were. When the Head Order told us the truth, each and every one of us was shocked. To know that not one but two raggioets exist and that one had stood before us left us . . . conflicted."

            I see my crown slipping through my fingers.

            "Preeminence," I begin, "I did not try to live. And I know it was expected that I would correct the situation, but once I survived . . . how could anyone ask that of me?"

            "We have no issues with you living."

            "Just with me being Preeminence."

            He dips his head, as if heavy with the weight of his own laurel wreath. "Yes, I'm sorry."

            I fight to keep my stance. "Will you not let me at least plead my case?"

            "Our decision has already been made."

            "This was not your decision. This was Leorus's."

            A muscle in his jaw ticks. "He's Preeminence Moretti, Jonas."

            "And I am Preeminence Blackwood to you, Damion."

            "No. You aren't."

            It's like the floor opens beneath me. It was clear what their decision was, but to actually hear it like that leaves me crumbling inside.

            Iris looks as if she wants to say something, so I take her hand and squeeze it, a silent request for her not to speak. I need to defend myself, my crown, my throne.

            "Why should you—any of you decide who rules Elleany? Time and time again we came to you seeking permission when we never should have had to in the first place.

            The Zeta's fingers curl around the armrests of his throne, his knuckles turning white. "You forget your place—"

            "You forget mine."

            He draws back.

            "Elleany does not need Amoria. We do not need Borilia, Odalia, Acquaellia, Surielius, or Gadfrie."

            "That's exactly my fear."

            I freeze at the sound of that voice. This is when I should take Iris's hand and run. But where is there to run to? The door behind us is shut. Before us is the sea.

            "Which is why I find myself in need of insurance." Leorus Moretti steps out of the shadows. "And you're just what I need."

If you had the choice would you visit Amoria?

The title of my new work is Claus. You can probably guess from the title that it's about Santa Claus in someway. I'm labeling it New Adult/Fantasy.