32 Orange

Colton~~

"The lake is orange."

            "I know the lake is orange, Percy."

            Our vehicle drives around Surielius's orange lake. We've had no contact with any of our mysterious drivers. The first car took us to a plane that we boarded to fly from Borilia to Surielius. Once we landed, we found a new vehicle awaiting us.

            It seems like Leorus has arranged everything, and it's become clear we will go where he wants and only when he wants.

            Now I'm stuck with Percy and his fascination with the orange lake. The water is also making Vienna visibly uncomfortable.

            If Preeminence Moretti has arranged this, then the Order must be expecting us.

            I glance again at Vienna.

            Right?

            Across the lake is a mansion but the car takes a road that leads us away from it.

"Have you made any progress on that presentation? Sorry I don't have a poster board to lend."

I shoot Percy a glare.

Before we even switched from car to plane, Percy had asked me what my plan was to win over the Orders. I've been trying to come up with some sort of speech, some sort of logical reasoning to convince them to let Vienna and I marry, that Gwen could marry an Amoris—none in particular—and that her heir could be Preeminence.

            I rake my hand through my hair. I feel like I'm selling my sister.

            The car comes to a stop under the overhang of a small white mansion. Standing before a gilded door is a tall man, his hair a bluish black. He's dressed in slacks and the sleeves of his button up are rolled close to his elbows.

            Beside him are a woman and a man dressed in uniforms of black and gray.

            The two of them come toward the car, the woman opening the door for us.

            Percy steps out of the vehicle first, followed by Vienna and then me. The two attendants take our bags while the man at the door comes forward.

"Welcome, Beta, Iota, Miss Rosen."

            Percy bows with all the grace of an aristocrat. "Tresais."

            I quickly do the same. I don't want to admit it, but I'm thankful Percy is here just now.

            The Tresais smiles. "Preeminence Moretti gave me a brief idea of why you're here, and I have to say I'm intrigued. And please, it's Aries."

Vienna slips her hand into mine, and we followONLYONWATTPADBENDERthe Tresais into the house where natural light floods in through windows on the back wall. On the right wall what looks like fresh green moss or vines cover the wall around a grand white fireplace.

            Outside the windows, the backyard is a mix of hedges and stone pavers. The backyard is sealed in by a railing that overlooks a lake, its water crystal blue, not orange. A smaller house is set off in the corner.

            Aries has us take a seat on plush purple couches that, after spending hours in a small car and in a plane, feel like the comfiest of beds.

"So you two want to marry?" He motions between Vienna and me.

            I sit forward. "Yes—"