58 Mer

Erik~~

Molly once told me that when she was little, she dreamed of being a mermaid. Of swimming far away from the Society and Elleany. That maybe if she dove deep enough, her Mark couldn't hurt her.

Even with Rydersin's arm on mine, there's an ache in my chest as I stare at the carvings of the merfolk in the stone doorway. Despite being surrounded by Amorians, Molly would have enjoyed attending a ball like this, one where she'd be free to dress as a being of the sea and not a citizen of Elleany. Of my family. Of me.

Amoria's merfolk are not the same as the ones featured in Elleany's myths. Instead of scales their tails are lined in what looks like ribbon or seaweed, and horns curl from the top of their heads.

What would Molly have thought of the horns?

My heart tightens.

Will it ever get easier when things remind me of Molly?

"Erik?" Rydersin's voice is gentle, calling me from my thoughts and guiding me to look at her as if she were the real siren in this palace. "Are you okay?"

I force a smile. "I don't know how I feel about the horns. Seems kind of dangerous. What if two of them were making out and stabbed the other in the eye?"

She frowns, clearly not buying my inane words, but she doesn't press me, for which I'm grateful.

We step through the doorway, walking underneath the mer creatures, and enter Gadfrie's ballroom, Karn, Meilin, and Xioazhi flanking us. Overhead, light blue and green ribbons bulge from the ceilings like sails. The entire backwall and half of the left and the right are one seamless window that looks out on the sparkling sea. Water laps at the glass and for some reason it causes me to shudder. Even if the glass were to break, the water wouldn't rush in. And besides, it's not as if I'm Expired. The water can't kill me. The five of us cross the blue marble floor as a unit, and it's almost like being back with my cous—

"Ms. Torellae." The Preeminence of Gadfrie steps in front of us. Rydersin must have spotted him when he was walking because she immediately dips into a curtsy.

"Preeminence." She holds his gaze. Tonight, she should celebrate. Should see this ball as a victory one for her. Gadfrie had said if the rest of the Orders sided with Rydersin, they would as well. And now here she is ready to hold them to that promise. "Thank you for having us back."

"We're just glad you're able to attend one of our balls this time."

Beyond him attendees mill about, chatting, sipping on sparkling wine, but none are dancing though the orchestra plays a waltz on their violins and flutes and violas that reminds me of strolling through a seaside town, of oil lights flickering and seagulls crying.

"I am as well."

The Preeminence brushes back his hair and offers a charming smile. "We have a bit of a busy evening ahead of us, so if it's agreeable to you, we would like to proceed with the vote. It's really only a formality of course. At this point."

Rydersin dips her head. "I'd like nothing more."

The Preeminence excuses himself to call his Order, and about five minutes later, he returns alone and leads the five of us to the front of the ballroom where a larger-than-life statue of one of the merfolk rests—not stands because they don't have feet so that would be difficult—and also entirely uncomfortable. Not that I would know what having a tail is like. Enzo probably would. At the base of the statue are two staircases descending downward in a curve. As we descend the stairs, the fire that burns in wrought iron cages cast shadows on each of us and on the floor, giving the impression that someone is following us. The lanterns sway on a breeze that comes from below. And since we're inside, I have no idea where the breeze is coming from or what special effects they've got going on to appease such dramatic tendencies of the Order.