43 Maybe They're Mermaids

Colton~~

I sit with the others in the Preeminence's living room where we were shown when we first arrived. Vienna's seated between me and the couch's armrest while Percy and Elisana are on my other side, not touching, but not avoiding each other either. Everyone but me seems convinced she's innocent.

But look at the track record of this room. My girlfriend: former rebel. Jonas's wife: former rebel.

In the loveseat, Jonas rests his hand on Iris's thigh covered by her green dress. Sharing a bedroom has forced us into close quarters, which means we've all been trying to play nice. Percy and I still refuse to discuss their wedding aloud even if we're stuck guarding them at all hours of the day.

            The Veil never captured the intruder—another reason to think Elisana's guilty. She and Vienna sip at their tea. No one has spoken more than a few words since we sat down. I think our sleeping arrangement isn't proving fruitful for a goodnight's rest.

            From somewhere within the mansion, a door slams, and someone yells in what sounds like the voice of an older man. Tensing, I reach for Vienna's hand, but she's clenching her teacup in both, the pink liquid inside trembling.

            A servant rushes into the room, and once standing on the rug before us, he drops into a hasty bow. "Preeminence Torellae has arrived."

            Vienna looks up at me as I withdraw my hand. He has? It must have been unexpected because we weren't given warning.

"We will inform you when the Order is ready to see you."

            "Has the rest of the Order arrived as well?" Jonas asks.

            "Preeminence Torellae has called for them. I imagine they'll arrive in time for dinner tonight." With that, the servant bows and takes his leave.

Leaning back, I close my eyes. I hope the Preeminence doesn't want to see us tonight because I'd rather not petition him while he isn't in the best of moods or when the rest of his Order is weary from traveling.

            Percy reaches for his teacup on the coffee table. "I imagine his daughter has him frustrated."

"You think he was visiting her?" Jonas looks troubled. "Why wouldn't she have come here instead?"

            Percy raises the cup from its saucer. "They're family. Perhaps they don't need the formality of appearing before the Order to make her case."

Elisana angles herself toward him, still careful not to touch him. I don't know who they're trying to fool. Percy disappears a lot, and it's probably because he's making out with her behind a curtain. "Your family doesn't seem to have much formality with each other either."

            "Oh they do." Iris scoots to the edge of the loveseat, and Jonas's hand falls down the side of her leg. "They just know when to wield it like a knife."

Jonas presses a kiss to the side of her head. "When have I ever made you call me, Preeminence?"

"That was not what I was referring to."

He rubs her back and looks at all of us. "Could I speak with my brother alone for a moment?"

Something in me shrivels, my gut tightening. Usually, Jonas's requests to have conversations with me in private are nothing but foreboding of me getting yelled at.

But the rest of our group nods and silently makes their way from the room, like the traitors they are to my well-being, and my brother and I are left sitting on the two couches, completely alone.