24 In My Mind

Iris~~

The moment we're led from the Senate chamber, Lorelei, Basile, and Andrew are taken away, leaving me alone with two Veil.

"Where are they going?" I ask. The Veil instead begin chatting with each other.

I look away from them and to the door and pray that in the next second it will be opened by Jonas.

I didn't want to leave him, but if I had put up a fight, what would that have meant for him? How would they have punished us?

It's a few minutes before the door does open, and Jonas walks out. Alone. He offers me a smile I can see through.

"This way," one of the Veil, his red hair falling in curls to his shoulders, says and starts
walking. The other with cropped black hair falls in behind me and Jonas.

"Where are Basile and Andrew?" Jonas asks me.

"I don't know."

"Are they okay?"

"Do you care?"

He's silent after that.

We head up a flight of stairs, and it isn't until then that I recognize the path we're taking.

How could Amoria let Lorelei and Illias go free? They served Odette. Even if Amoria doesn't care about the blood on her hands, if it weren't for the Society, she would have ended up exposing the Amoris to the people of Earth.

We come to a stop in front of Jonas's door, and I'm grabbed from behind by the Veil with short hair while the other opens Jonas's door.

"Inside, please, Preeminence."

Hesitating, Jonas looks back at me. I jerk in the Veil's grip, but he grabs onto me with both hands and yanks me back.

"Inside."

Jonas's gaze drops to my arm where my Mark is exposed.

"Jonas?"

His eyes flick up to mine. "It's okay." He turns to the Veil holding the door. "I'm going. Don't hurt her."

The Veil nods, and Jonas steps inside his room.

"Get off me." I jam my elbow into the ribs of the Veil. His grip slackens enough for me to take two steps forward before he hauls me back.

"Iris." Jonas holds up his hand, palm facing me. "It will be all right."

Anything else he might want to say is cut off by the Veil slamming the door in his face and locking it.

He wasn't locked up before dinner.

I struggle against the Veil, causing the one with red hair to also grab hold of me. One on each arm, they drag me away from Jonas's room, up and down hallways. What was discussed after I was led out of the Senate chamber? Will I or any of his family see Jonas again? What if his gentle attempts to calm me so I'd go was to keep me away from whatever he knew is coming?

I have to get back to him.

I dig my heels against the floor, but it's too polished, too slick, and I only manage to create a small amount of friction. Not at all enough to slow the Veil.

Ahead, Erik rounds the corner and freezes. "What's going on?"

I tug at the Veils' hold. "They locked Jonas in his room."

Erik takes a step forward and hesitates.

"Interfere, Mr. Blackwood," the Veil with black hair says, "and you jeopardize Ms. Torellae's mission."