22. Mates

Tyler's POV
I'm in the guest bedroom and I still can't believe that she's my mate instead of Nina. Nina is going to be devastated when she finds out. Will Natasha tell her. I need to get out of here, I should just leave. No, I can't do that. Nina won't forgive me. I hear a knock.
"Come in" I say irritated, I'm not in the mood for visitors.
In walks the last person I want to see, Coby.
"Hey man, I'm checking on all the guests to make sure you have everything you need"
"Yeah man, I'm good."
"Cool, well the packs are gathering shortly in the mess hall."
"About that, listen Coby I don't have a pack anymore"
"I know" Coby crosses his arms over his chest waiting for an explanation
"I didn't get along with the Alpha, we had a difference of opinion so I chose to leave a few months ago. It was a mutual understanding between us."
"I just don't want any trouble, you know you're old pack is here"
"Yeah. I know and you don't have to worry there won't be any trouble."
"Okay, see you in a bit then" he turns to walk away
"Later" I say

Now that my wolf knows his mate is here close by he's been gnawing at me to be free but I can't shift in this territory. A pack might see it as a threat. I've been leaning against the back wall watching everyone walk in and take a seat. The gathering is about to start and I'm scanning the crowd for Nina while my wolf is looking for someone else. I let out a low growl when I pick up her scent and my wolf is restless now. My feet push off the wall almost against my will. I'm moving through the crowd and stand directly in front of her. She's sitting on the other side of the table and hasn't looked up at me but I know she can sense me too because her body stiffens when I clear my throat. She still doesn't look up and I'm starting to get pissed off. I sit in front of her and notice Nina for the first time next to her. Shit!! Fuck!!
Nina looks confused and is looking at Natasha and then at me trying to figure out what's going on. I'm so screwed. Before she can say anything the announcer starts talking and the hall gets quiet. Nina turns to face the stage.
I see the girl called Luna up on the stage with Coby by her side but they aren't acting like a happily ever after couple. The announcer continues to speak but I drown him out. I'm looking at Nina and she has her back turned to me. I reach over with my long legs and tap under the table but she just moves her leg and continues to focus on the stage. I try again and this time she kicks me back hard. I let out a gruff and everyone around us turns to look at me so I decide to give up for now. It's then that I notice Natasha staring at me with the most pained look on her face. She doesn't hide her emotions, she wants me to see how my actions affect her. Is she silently asking me to choose? What the hell am I am going to do? I only came here to see Nina and set plans in motion to be with her forever but it seems that fate had different plans. Now I am so screwed because Coby won't want me in his pack if he knows I'm Natasha's mate. He knows Nina and I have liked each other for so long even if he doesn't know we were sneaking around for a year behind his back. I also can't destroy Nina by having her witness me being with her best friend, that's just cruel. But where do we go? I guess I'll have no choice but to go back to my old pack. This whole situation sucks. In the end, someone will get hurt.