9. Reunions

Photo credits: The Big Rock by BJ Clayden

Coby's POV
—-
"I knew you'd be here" Milah says
I don't turn around. She sits next to me on the rock. I always come here by the lake to think. She knows everything about me but she wasn't my mate so I had to let her go. It was hard and I still miss her but she doesn't belong to me even when I desperately wanted her to be mine.
"What's wrong?"
"What are you doing here Milah?"
"You're mom called me"
I roll my eyes and throw a rock in the lake.
"She's worried about you."
"Does she really think you of all people can help me?"
"Yes"
"She's wrong"
Milah puts her hand on my shoulder and tugs so I can face her. "Talk to me Coby, you know I will always be here for you."
I look away because it still stings that she doesn't love me the way I do or did or I don't even know anymore.
"You should go before he comes looking for you"
"He knows I'm here, he's not a bad guy Coby and you should be grateful for that."
"I am" I look at her and see true concern on her features. I sigh and pull her into me.
"How have you been" I say in her hair
"I'm better now, she hugs me back tighter."
" Will you abandon me now Coby?" she looks up at me with so much worry.
I kiss her forehead and answer honestly "Never"
She smiles her beautiful smile, it's the kind that will melt any guys heart. I move away and ask again "what are you doing here?"
"I came because I know tonight is your big night and want to support you."
I knew she wasn't lying, she would be there for me even if it killed her inside like I was for her.
"Why did it have to be this way?" I ask
She rubs my back and looks out at the water
"Does she want you?"
"I don't know" I laugh
All my life women have thrown  themselves at me and the one girl that is my mate can't make up her mind. Life is cruel, I've only ever desired two girls and both rejected me I think.
"So she's half human I see"
"Yes"
"Does the pack accept her as your mate?"
"Yes, probably because of my family's status"
She nods in understanding
"I want nothing more than for you to be happy Coby and I know once you are bonded you will be.  Don't worry from what I saw she will make the right choice."
"What do you mean?"
"She was ready to rip my head off when I asked for you"
"You did what! Why Milah!"
"I needed to see that she cared for you, that she deserved you."
"Milah stop playing games with her, I mean it." I stand fuming
Milah stands too "I did you a favor, she now knows she cares for you more than she wants to admit and she got a taste of what it will be like if she chooses wrong. Trust me Coby."
"I can't afford to play games Milah, this is my life."
"Okay, you're right. I'm sorry Coby. If you want me to leave I will." She turns to walk away
"Wait, just promise me no more games." I reach for her arm
"I promise but I should probably go. I don't want to make things worse for you."
I look over as soon as I sense her "too late she's here, shit"