33. The Spy

Dom's POV
I can't believe I let Milah drag me to this party tonight. Apparently Nina invited her over to celebrate that the Council hearing went well. I think there's another motive if I know Coby. He probably wants to know when Nina will be coming to stay at Stanton House. I guess we are about to find out.
Coby and Luna are standing just outside the pack house front door when we arrive. I extend my hand and for the first time he takes it. I smile and we go inside. I'm relieved his mate finally accepted him. It makes everything so much easier.
Coby gets right to the point as soon as we walk in. He turns to look at me with a serious expression, "we need to talk alone, block everyone". He asks the ladies to go join the party and tells them we will be there shorty. I follow him to a study that's lined with books on the entire right wall with floor to ceiling windows on the far wall. In front of the windows is a huge oak desk that looks like it's a hundred years old. There's a couch and a small table to the right. "You going stare all day or come have a seat" Coby says irritated because I haven't walked inside. I laugh out loud and sit on the leather couch. "So what is it that has you all wired?" I ask
We know who alerted the Council about me staying in wolf form ehh a lot". He doesn't elaborate.
"Okay, and this matters to me why?" Now I'm annoyed
"I learned through a credible source that the Ridgewood pack wants start a war with my pack and if they succeed they will come after yours next."
"Who told you this? When and why would they want to start a war against the two biggest and strongest packs? Who is your source?"
Coby puts his hands up as I'm firing all these questions at him and I wait for his response.
Coby begins, "They think we are weak because they heard I was going to be dethroned as Alpha and see this as their perfect shot at taking my pack. They don't know Luna and I imprinted. We have a spy among us and we need to find out who. Since our packs are so intertwined it could be a ware from yours or mine."
"I see" is all I can muster to say. I've been thinking as Coby talked about who could be so bold. "This ware either thinks they won't get caught or they are very stupid or both." I say
Coby just nods and continues "I have a hunch of who it is so I've taken the liberty of interrogating him, follow me." He walks around his desk and walks out without looking back. I think to myself, am I taking orders from him now? I scoff but get up and follow him out. He leads me to a tall narrow door in the kitchen tucked behind the pantry. There's a stairwell going down into complete darkness. "You have a dungeon?" Coby turns back for a split second and says "like you don't." I laugh out loud again and this time my voice travels down. I decide to keep quiet until we reach our destination. We soon hit a long narrow hallway dimly lit by yellow lights along the wall. There are multiple cells to each side. Each cell is empty but one. I am shocked at who's sitting in the cell but I don't show it. I look over at Coby and he is stone faced as he opens the door and he is looking at his Beta Jake with murder in his eyes. We walk inside the cell and Coby doesn't bother closing the door. He knows there's no way in Hell Jake can take the both of us or even one of us on his best day.
Jake is severally beaten with one eye completely shut and swollen. His clothes are torn and covered in blood.  He's cuffed by his hands and feet. He's got his head down and it looks like he's passed out. He hanging from the chains that bind him slumped over. I almost feel sorry for him. Coby leans in and screams "wake up". Jake jerks awake like they splashed water on him. "Are you ready to tell me the truth now Jake?"
Jake looks over at him and then me. He nods his head up and down slowly. "Good puppy" says Coby "start talking." I wonder how long he's been down here but I don't ask.
Jake's barely understandable and his voice is hoarse when he speaks. "I was ambushed by the Ridgewood alpha a few weeks ago. He was going to kill me unless I gave him some intel on you. He has been wanting your territory for a while. You were going to lose your pack anyway because of that selfish bitch! You were going to give up everything we've worked so hard for. Your decisions affect us all!" Coby punches Jake in the gut and Jake coughs out more blood. "Well guess what Jake, I imprinted on her and I will be Alpha soon. It's only because you have been so loyal all this time that I'm not going to end you right now but don't ever disrespect your Luna again!" Coby roars in anger. Jake looks shocked for a split second. He gives Coby the most regretful look. Coby walks away "save it, the damage is done and there's no going back. I will think about what I'm going to do with you later. Right now I have a party to get back to." With that, we both exit the cell and go looking for our Luna's.