nine

((this is probably the worst chapter so far bye

-Mel))

Michael's got a concerned look on his face. His mouth is tilted down and his eyebrows are drawn together, metallic green eyes cast on the floor near Calum's feet. His lips are pursed slightly, like he's biting the inside of his cheek, and his jaw keeps tensing and releasing every couple of seconds.

Calum watches him think for a minute or two, smiling slightly at the pure concentration on Michael's face, then decides to finally speak up.

"Alright?" Calum asks quietly, trying not to startle Michael. He jumps anyway and glances up with raised eyebrows and wild, flashing eyes.

As soon as their eyes meet, Michael grins and says, "You're so beautiful."

Calum flushes pink and glances down. "Shut up."

"Its true!" Michael protests. "You are beautiful."

"That's not a very mainly compliment," Calum replies.

"True," Michael agrees. He pauses while the bus rolls over a bump and causes them both to shift a little, then crawls off his couch to slot himself between Calum and the arm of the opposite couch. There hadn't been much room there to begin with, so Michael's practically laying in Calum's lap. Calum rolls their eyes, probably overdramatically, but doesn't make any move to shove Michael off. Instead, Calum's hands wrap around his waist to hold him in place.

"You know," Michael says quietly, Shifting a little to get more comfortable. "Luke likes you best as a boy, and Ashton likes you best as a girl. So, I suppose that leaves me with the in between days, doesn't it? Which makes sense, because Luke likes boys, Ashton likes girls, and I like everyone."

"What do you mean, "leaves you with"?" Calum scoffs. "You love me on my in between days."

"Very true," Michael smiles and leans back until his right shoulder is pressing against the back of the couch. He swings his right arm around Calum's neck and presses a loud kiss to Calum's temple. "Then again, I love you on all your days, I'm just generally the one you turn to on your in between days."

Calum's quiet then, because Michael's completely right. There's a reason Calum's sitting in the back room with Michael right now  instead of taking a nap with Ashton or eating a bowl of cereal with Luke. They feel better around Michael, because Michael is always soft and gentle. Michael always has gender neutral pronouns and compliments. Michael knows how to do these things.

Michael smiles softly and edges his way onto Calum's lap completely, then presses a soft kiss to Calum's mouth.

Calum loves him a lot, honestly.

°°°°

They're in a meet and greet, Calum's on the very end next to Ashton (because, as Ashton puts it, the rhythm section gets no love), while Michael and Luke are in the front part of their little line. Ashton's elbowing Calum and pointing out various people waiting in line to see them with side comments like, "I bet Michael's going to say something about her hair," "I bet she only likes Luke," He probably plays guitar."

Calum's finding the commentary amusing, honestly, because at least three girls have hugged Michael and Luke and walked right passed the other two like nothing. Calum's considering joining the line, just to see if anyone will notice him.

He glances down to find Michael gripping a girl's shoulder with one hand and pointing at him with the other. The girl's brown eyes light up instantly at the sight of him, and she twists out of Michael's grip to jog over to him.