Thirty Two

((I'm sad so pls tell me dumb stories about u or ur pets or anything really it will make me feel so much better.))

((Smut warnings))

Luke nudges Michael, who hisses and nudges him back, clearly not into a spat this early in the morning. Ashton looks chirpy, so Luke kicks him under the table. Ashton gives him a look, but continues eating his yogurt without kicking back. Luke huffs.

Before he can try to antagonize either of them any further, Calum hops onto the bus and slaps a piece of paper and a few markers onto the table. He nudged his way into the booth next to Ashton and grins.

"Oh, boy, Calum woke us up at the asscrack of dawn so we could color," Michael says sarcastically. Luke lights up and looks at Calum hopefully, but Michael just punches him in the stomach and mutters, "Shut up."

"I didn't even say anything!" Luke whines, clutching his ribs. As soon as he sticks out his bottom lip, Michael scoffs, Ashton groans, and Calum rolls his eyes.

"Come on, I called a meeting for a reason," he sighs, but it's half fond, because Michael winds his arm around Luke's waist and tugs him closer (so he can set his head on Luke's shoulder and use him as a human pillow, but Luke thinks it's the thought that counts). Luke glances up at the mention of the sign posted on the bus door that bad read "Band Meeting!!!!! Tomorrow @ 9!!!!!" The three of them had made indigent noises and echoed "Nine am?" while Calum had stayed quiet, so they all knew who was responsible for the early morning wake up call.

Calum uncaps a black sharpie and draws a long line from one end of the paper to the other, bracketing it with two small lines. He draws one in the middle before glancing up and capping the marker again. "This is the gender spectrum."

Michael and Ashton groan in annoyance.

"We already know what the gender spectrum is!" Ashton complains.

"Okay," Calum pushes the paper towards Ashton with raised eyebrows. "Point to Luke." Ashton snaps his mouth shut, so Calum pulls the paper back and picks up a blue highlighter and a pink highlighter. He highlights each, opposite bracket, then colors the middle one gray. "Male, female, and agender!"

Luke's interested, honestly. He wants to know where he'd fall on this spectrum.

Calum grabs a purple marker next and colors both ends, "Bigender. Obviously, bi just means two, so a bigender person could be male and female, female and agender, male and agender- well you get the point. Two genders."

Michael makes a quiet surprised noise at that, and even Ashton seems intrigued, now.

Calum picks through his markers until he finder a red one, then uses it to color all three marks. "Genderfluid, me!" He says enthusiastically.

Luke glances at the paper and says, "Alright, where would transgender fall?"

Calum squints at him, making Luke shift uncomfortably. "We're all trans, Lukey, anyone who isn't cis male or cis female is considered trans. But, like, actual male to female or female to male people would just be at the same points as the female and male marks."

"Wouldn't they be, like, a little bit in front of the marks?" Ashton asks, flicking his eyes up to meet Calum's. "Because, they're not, like, actual girls or boys, right?"

Calum's squint intensifies to a glare. Michael makes a noise that Luke usually associates with Oh, Shit, You Fucked Up.

"No, they are actual boys and girls," Calum says evenly, like he's trying to contain himself. "A lot of transgender people pay a lot of money to go through sex changes and get hormones so they can be "normal boys and girls"."