Making Him Ruthless

All Rights Reserved. © Shanice Kelly

"Alicia" I hear someone called the moment I stepped through the front doors of Valois. I couldn't help the feeling of déjà vu, when I saw Bridget waving enthusiastically as she called my name again.

I forced a smile unto my face and quickly debated on whether or not to go see what she wanted or to continue walking and pretend as if I didn't hear her.

Pushing that thought away I walked over to her, silently hoping that whatever she had to say was quick and curt. I wasn't in the mood nor did I have the energy to converse with anyone.

"Yes Bridget?" I asked once I was in front of her.

"Oh Hey Alicia" "I know your relatively new here so you haven't met most of the staff, but a group of co-workers and I are throwing a little get together for Phillip's, from the I.T. department, birthday and I was wondering if you'd like to come."

I stared at her for a while, not knowing what to do. This was an unusual occurrence for me. I'd never partied or hung out with people of my age. It wasn't because of lack of offers, it more of I just never had time to.

With success came sacrifice and having friends was just one of those sacrifices. Derick was the only exception because he had manage to weed his way into my life before I had even notice.

Bridget cut into my thought process before I could come up with an answer. "I understand if you don't want, it's a bit sudden, but..."

"I'd love to" I answered putting an end to her nervous rant.

Her entire face lit up as she quickly scribble down an address on a piece of paper and shuffled it to me. "This is the address. The party starts at nine."

I smiled the pretty blond in front of me as I tucked the paper into a small compartment of my handbag. "Thank you Bridget. I'll see you tonight then" I answered before I making my way to my office.

"You're late" were the first words that met my ears when I pushed the door to my office open.

Chase stood in front of my desk with his arms crossed over his chest. His hardened gold eyes pinned me at the threshold of my office. His jaw rigid and his lips set in a scowl.

As usual he looked pissed and as usual I didn't know why. Instead of trying to decipher the workings of this man's mind or trying to keep track of his mood swings, I choose to ignore him and walked to my desk.

I started up my computer and began working. From the corner of my eyes I could see that Chased had gotten even more pissed but I continued to not acknowledge him.

If I did, it would lead to an argument and I didn't feel like ruining the decent start to my day.

"Ms. Petrova, did you hear me? You're late, I don't tolerate late employees." Chase said more forceful than before.

I sighed and my moved my eyes away from the report I was reading and took in the man in front of me.

He chose to wear a dark blue suit today. His white shirt was partially hidden by his jacket and he had forego the tie, choosing instead to leave the top two buttons of his shirt opened, revealing a delicious view of his chest.

I moved my gaze up to meet the eyes of the same man who I had spent an entire day with. The same man who sat side by side with me as we watched the waves and the same man who told me about his family and asked about mine.

It had only been a day but this man was different, more hostile.

"Mr. Valois, I can assure you I was not late. You told me to be here at 7:00 am and I walked into the building at exactly 6:55" I finally answered.