Making Things Right

All Rights Reserved. © Shanice Kelly

"I keep telling you that damn bike is dangerous, but do you ever listen?" I felt like a mother berating her petulant child as I scowled at my best-friend.

His left cheek was bruised, along with his arms and his broken right leg was hoisted. He looked like shit.

"I'm sorry, it was an accident, I was going a bit too fast and I took the corner a bit too late, I didn't expect to lose control." He argued.

The icy glare I gave him was cold enough to freeze the Pacific, if he was trying to make the situation better he was failing miserably.

When he first got the motorcycle, I was upset, but he was a grown man therefore I couldn't exactly ask him to get rid of, and I quote "the love of his life, Patricia", so I accepted it, occasionally dropping a blunt comment of course.

But that was two years ago and I honestly though that his fast and the furious phase was over. A mid midlife crisis perhaps.

"Where were you in a hurry to go anyway?" I snapped. I knew I was being harsh, but he could have died. The doctors said that if he had landed differently he would have broken his neck and just like that I would have lost my best friend. I was grateful that he was alive but I was more than anything terrified of what could've happened.

He lift a discolored arm and scratch the back of his neck. "I was coming to yours actually"

My gaze defrosted a bit. I couldn't even described the guilt that I was feeling. He almost lost his life trying to get to me and I wasn't even there. Instead I was out gallivanting with my boss.

"I haven't been a good friend lately and I wanted to apologize." He gesture to where his backpack sat in one of the chairs.

I walked over to it and unzipped the first compartment, to find a bouquet of battered purple roses.

I stared down at the arrangement in my hand and all of the strength I had summoned on my way here left my body. I felt as if my legs were going to give out any second.

I didn't deserve him. He was just too good for me.

"Derrick I..." I didn't know what to say. What did you say to your best friend, who loved you unconditionally, who also almost died trying to get to you in order to apologize especially when he hadn't cross your mind even once while you were out cuddling up to a man that doesn't even like you.

Nothing so I sat in the chair by his bed, rested my head against his chest and cried. I just didn't have the energy to hold it in anymore.

Derrick caressed my cheek as he whispered words of comfort. "Shh, shh. I'm fine, I'm fine."

I sobbed harder as I clutched unto his shirt and nuzzled my face into his neck. "I love you Derrick, please don't ever scare me like that again. I love you too much to lose you" I sobbed harder; a sound that was interrupted by another: someone clearing their throat.

By the door stood Chase, behind him Derrick's doctor.

Chase eyes met mine, his expression unreadable. I gathered myself, wiped the tears from my face and detached myself from Derrick; the way he was looking at me made me feel like I was doing something wrong.

"I have somewhere to be. I just wanted to check that everything was alright before I go." His voice was cold and distant.

I had forgotten I told him to wait out in the lobby. Before I got answer, Derrick's harsh voice cut in, "What is he doing here?" He was talking to me but his glare was on Chase.