Making a Proposition

These violent delights have violent ends and in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss, consume. - Friar Laurence to Romeo, Romeo and Juliet

Chapter 1
All Rights Reserved. © Shanice Kelly

Valois Inc. was a remarkable example of what modern architecture had to offer. It was a sixty-five floors, predominantly glass building that looked like it belong in the animated futuristic world of The Jetsons.

The first floor sat by itself while the other sixty-four floors ascended off the left side of it; forming a L. At the top of the L, written in bold gold letters, was the name Valois.

I was awestruck by how well thought out and well executed the design was.

The automatic revolving doors allowed me entrance and I immediately walked toward the reception desk and the woman behind it; each stride filling me with confidence.

She smiled politely and spoke the rehearsed words. "Welcome to Valois Incorporated, My name is Bridget, how may I help you?"

I smiled politely back. "Hello, my name is Alicia Petrova and I have a meeting at two with Mr. Valois"

Bridget quickly typed something on her computer before looking back at me. "Ah yes, Mr. Valois is definitely expecting an Alicia Petrova but before you can go up to his office, I need to see your I.D. please" She said, looking slightly apologetic.

"Oh that's completely fine" I dismissed, pulling out my driver's license which I had conveniently stored at the front of my bag.

I had expected this, no self-respecting business would let a person roam the halls much less see the C.E.O without proof of identity.

She quickly glanced at my license before handing me a visitor's pass. "The pass opens the elevator, just swipe across the red light on the side. Mr. Valois' office is on the thirty-first floor, his secretary Heather will give you further instructions. Have a great rest of your day"

"Thank you and you also"

I walked over to the elevators, barely acknowledging the beautiful interior décor or the people who were dispersed throughout the building.

I only had one goal from the moment I woke up this morning and that was to prove to Mr. Valois that he was right on the mark when he offered me this job.

This was the opportunity of a lifetime. Valois was one of the biggest and most influential multinational corporation in the world and I was being offered a job here after only just graduating a week ago.

I couldn't thank my lucky stars enough.

I swipe the pass across the red light on the side like I was instructed, the light change to green and the elevator doors slowly opened.

I breathe deeply as I took a shaky step in, all the confidence I had earlier quickly decimating.

Never in my life had I ever felt this nervous, not when I had my first date; Victor Walt was his name and at the time he was the most beautiful boy I had ever seen and we were destined to be together.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my blue pencil skirt and did my best to calm my nerves

I couldn't screw this, actually scratch that I wouldn't screw this up.

If you are not feeling confident then fake confidence because all that matters is that the people around you believe you are was the mantra that I lived by and in this moment faking confidence was exactly what I was going to do.