Making Mistakes

Chapter 3
All Rights Reserved © Shanice Kelly

Not Edited. Please excuse any mistakes.

I smirked at Chase as I left the conference room. I could feel the irritation radiating off of him, which was also evident by the permanent scowl that was etched unto his face.

I had single-handedly convince a businessman to sell a fifteen million dollar company for eight million. It seem that Mr. Roul's illegal activities had ran deeper that I had initially guessed.

By the time Chase and I resumed our place around the table, he had accepted my offer, putting an end to the lengthy meeting and it seems that Chase couldn't handle being wrong and me being right.

The look of shock on Chase's face was enough to cause me to mentally patted myself on the back, I even added a little dance at the end.

I didn't check to see if he was behind me as I made my way back to my office.

There was a light atmosphere throughout the building as everyone packed up for the end of the day.

I could feel pairs of eyes on me as I walked. As if everyone was finally noticing that there was an unfamiliar face among them but no one made the effort to talk to me, which I appreciated.

I released a sigh when I was finally in the sanctuary of my office, away from the prying eyes and away from Charles Valois Jr.

I had survived my first day, barely, but I was a survivor nonetheless.

Though I was disappointed in myself. The man had accused me of being a harlot, belittled me and threatened to fire me, but I still wanted to run my tongue down his body.

I was a disgrace.

I literally had to force my mind not to wander into forbidden territory. Training him was another impossible mission. The man was as stubborn as an ox. I had no clue what Mr. Valois was thinking when he came up with such a scheme but I was pretty sure he was going bat-shit crazy.

I threw my bag over my shoulder preparing to call it quits for the day. I didn't think I could last another second in this place without doing something that I would regret and would most definitely get me fired.

But the vibration of my phone halted my exit.

A wide smile made its way on my face when I saw the name on the caller I.D.

"Hey Ali" a familiar voice said from the other end of the line. Warmth spread throw me and I immediately felt calm and safe.

"Hey Derrick" I answered, my voicing sounding jovial for the first time today.

Derrick meant the world to me. I love him, but just not the way he wanted me to.

We were sixteen when he first told me he loved me, at first I was quick to return the three words, but when he leaned towards me and press his lips to mine, I realized that my 'I love you' and his 'I love you" had two different meanings.

He had picked me up when I fell, both literally and figuratively, more time than I could count, he had held me when I cried and he had encouraged me when I considered given up. Derick was everything to me, he was my best-friend. Someone that I would love forever but will never be in love with.

"How was your first day?" he asked. His voice pulling me away from the direction of my thoughts.

"It was okay, my boss is a bit of a jerk though"

I heard him laugh. "I'm sorry to hear that, how about we celebrate your new job. I'll come over and make you dinner and maybe we could watch a movie after wards, just like when we were younger"