Making New Friends

Chapter 9

All Rights Reserved. © Shanice Kelly

With exactly two minutes to spare, I placed my report on to Chase's desk.

"Shred them" he said without looking up at me.

I glared at the infuriating man."What?"

He stopped what he was doing and looked up at me, clearly annoyed. "Do I really have to repeat myself?"

"Why did you ask everyone to write a meeting report, if you are not going to read them."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "It was a warning."

I force away the smile that was creeping on to my face. I raised my eyebrows instead. "A warning?"

"Yes, that if anyone chooses to disrespect me during a meeting again, there will be dire consequences." His eyes pierced mines. Obviously 'anyone' meant me.

I couldn't help it anymore, my lips forming into a bright smile onto their own accord. I was happy, no I was ecstatic. My plan was working.

"Okay." I answered, my voice a bit too chirpy for my own liking. Chase's eyes never left me as I gathered the reports into my arm, walked over to the shredder and shred each one by one

"Okay? No arguments?" He had on the most adorably confused expression.

"No" I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and continued shredding. His eyes were still on me and as much as I told my mind to ignore him, my body refuse to listen. I found myself constantly moving my weight to the opposite leg, in hopes of relieving the discomfort he was making me feel.

The only sounds in the room were the shredder and our breathing, mine sounding harsher than his. It felt like he was undressing with his eyes, but what bother me is how much I liked it.

He was occupying my mind so much, that couldn't focus on the tasks at hand.

Without thinking about where I was, the word, "shit!" fell from my mouth. I dropped the paper I was holding. I looked down at my hand, to see a streak of blood oozing from my index finger.

Chase was on his feet, standing beside me before I could react. "Are you okay?" I hear his worried voice asked.

I cradled my finger in hopes of not getting blood everywhere. "Yea, I'm fine, it's not a big deal, just a paper cut."

Ignoring my protest, he scooped me into his arms and carried me to his desk, placed me on top of it, and preceded to take out a miniature first aid kit from his desk draw.

I silently watched as he went down on one knee, took my hand into his and wipe away the blood before securing a band aid around my finger.

"You know I could've done that by myself." I finally said.

"Yes, but I wouldn't get to touch you" He answered as if he was talking about the weather. My breath itch in my throat.

"Chase?" I gently turned his head, so he was once again looking at me.

His golden eyes pinned me to my seat. "I couple days ago you asked me what my problem was and I told you my problem was you. I wasn't lying."

My heart picked up at the way he was looking at me. I really wanted this man, but I couldn't have him. And it wasn't because I thought I wasn't good enough.

I made a promise to someone else, but most importantly he was an assignment, one that I couldn't fail.

He was the one to break the suffocating silence between us. "I'm not sure why but it makes me angry." His fingers lightly trailed up my arm as he spoke. "Seeing another man talked to you."