Making Things Awkward

All Rights Reserved. © Shanice Kelly

As I made my way into the office, whatever anger I felt towards Chase for forcing me to come into work an hour early, quickly morphed into gratitude.

I was grateful I had reason to get out of bed early and away from Derrick-who was still face down, fast asleep in my bed. I wasn't ready to face him yet. All the regret that I had suppress last night were coming at me at once and I was dreading the consequences.

"Ms. Petrova" I heard someone called.

I looked to see Bridget smiling broadly as waved at me. "Ms. Petrova" she called again.

I walked over to her desk. "Good Morning Bridget and please call me Alicia"

She giggled. "Oh well Good Morning Alicia" she chirped. I raise an eyebrow at her. She was way too happy at 6:50 in the morning.

"Mr. Valois Sr. asked me to issue you an employee's I.D. It opens the elevators and any door that you are authorized to enter." she said as she slid a lamented rectangle towards me.

I picked it up, held it between two fingers and slowly turned it as I examined it. There was a picture of me at the top and for a brief second I wonder where they got it. "Thank you Bridget"

"You're welcome... oh and before I forget Mr. Valois Jr. is already in his office, he told me to tell you to go straight there once you get here" she said with a bright smile on her face.

I eyed her carefully before nodding. "Thank you"

She was a like a ball of sunshine and rainbows, no wonder her face was the first face you saw when you entered the building. I thought as I made my way to the elevator.

I swiped my I.D. against the small panel at the side of the elevator and just like yesterday the red light on the changed to green and the door slowly opened.

Once I was at the thirty-first floor. I made my way to Chase's office. The direction I had somehow memorized yesterday.

I knocked once I was at the door. "Chase" I called but there was no answer so I knocked again.

Still no answer.

I slowly pushed the door open and made my way in.

"Mr. Valois, you wanted to s..." I started but stop once I took in the sight in front of me.

Chase was slumped in his chair, his head dropped loosely back, one arm hung limply over the side, his mouth was slightly ajar and his papers were scattered at the side of his desk.

A soft snore echoed throughout the room.

I smiled tenderly as I felt the muscles of my heart clenched. He looked so peaceful and boyish. For the first time he wasn't scowling or looking menacing in any way.

I walked over to him gradually picking up files off the floor as I got closer. I neatly stack everything on his desk before turning to Chase.

"Mr. Valois" I said as I gently shook him. He stir for a bit before settling down and quietly snoring again.

I took a step close to him and shook harder. "Chase, wake up"

He lifted the arm that was hanging limped over the arm of the chair, hitting me in the back, causing me to tumble.

It happen so fast, one minute I was standing up over Chase, the next I was sprawled ungracefully across his lap.

But the only thing I could think as something poked my stomach was: Please, please let that be piece of the furniture.