Part 7.5

For concurrent readers, chapter 7 first

Themis

The mountains of Italy

Themis, Master of Law, had used all the gifts of element and nature to cross the surface of this earth, traveling thousands of mortal miles in moments. At present Themis uses the wind to lighten his steps as he maneuvers around the several tents in the wooded forest. Once past those obstacles, the god steps into the fire at the center of the makeshift camp.

Once his stiff physical form mutes and melts in favor of the dance of the fire he takes time to gaze about. Themis understands by the state of this camp that Xerses and the lower gods do not practice all the gifts as Darius obliged the Firma gods to do, and thus things were so very dammed here.

Once again he thanked his creators, Atar and Daena, for the appointing of Darius as leader.

When the prayer was complete the questions began.

Why did they need shelters? Why this fire? Out in the woods are all the elements of nature. They would protect, comfort, and assist them if they knew how to ask. But no, these beings had not practiced with the earth, they did not know her.

Further, the sounds of depraved activities that filled the cool air spoke all too clearly of what actions these gods did deem important.

Themis felt the stirrings of baser desires inside himself but he had long mastered those things, again as a result of Darius' example and because he had practiced doing so, he easily pushed the temptations aside.

Waiting. The fire became coals and the night owls hooted. Once their pleasures were finished Themis listened.

Xerses voice, clear in the darkness, states. "Tell me, I will not hurt you again if you will only tell me."

"I do not know. I cannot say it enough." This voice is very quiet. Until the screaming begins.

The canvas of the tent bulges outward. "Tell me!" Xerses shrieks into the night.

The mortal begins to cry.

"I wish you did not make me hurt you. Just tell me where the altar is, and all the pain will stop."

"I would tell you. I would. I just do not know."

There is a bit of silence.

The woman speaks again, placatingly. "I do know that these mountains have many caves. I know them. I can take you. We can search."

"Well, that is more what I expect out of you." There are some ruffling noises. "We will leave at first light. Now put the manacles around your wrist and turn them over. I'm not quite finished with you yet."

Themis tunes them out. Is that what he searches for? An altar? What kind of altar could remain on this rock that had not been found by the mortals with all their scientific equipment? Further, if such a thing exists, why would it be of interest to a god? 

Concurrent readers: chapter 8 is next