Not that long ago...

The Mountains of Italy

Selene

At Igle's behest and Akakios' suggestion, Selene, goddess of the night, blends into the darkness of the mountain. She carefully pulls the light, which is her opposing power, more completely out of the dimension her physical form resides in and into the plane where celestial beings thrive. This folding of light creates a vacuum where darkness is doubly dark, hiding her absolutely. All she can sense in this darkest of darkness's is the grumbling of an engine and crunching of tires.

She had followed Xerses up this mountain, at first, to discern why he trespassed in Igle's lands, but now she would see if he broke the oath. If he did break it, Darius could punish him.

Darius had been right all those many years ago when he asked the gods to be better and had received proof upon his mastery of all the elements. The creators had given him Khrysaor, oath keeper and god slayer which he could use to punish gods.

They had also granted him Yaman, Kitanob, and Titanios all made in Elysium and Kolalabra by the Yazatas. Very rare treasures indeed. And had allowed him to communicate with Ammon the lower god of Ahura Mazda's quorum assigned to the elements.

None of the gods of light, which were the only gods that followed Darius, understood why these particular elements from the eternal realm were granted them, but Selene was certain Darius would figure it out. However since the receipt of these boons from the upper realms Xerses and the lower gods had been on the move. Why? That is the question Akakios had tasked her with.

Now. Well hidden. Selene anticipates the distance she must rise to stay near him and his vehicle which pulls a trailer packed with mortals as if they were cattle. Just as she takes a step through the void, Xerses' black eyes turn her way. His vehicle slows and so, it seems, does time. He stares into the darkness and she knows he knows.

He breaks into her thoughts. I see you there, you bad little spider.

She sends back, You have no manners; get out of my head.

His voice comes again, Stop following me and I will try to be more considerate.

She steps out of the shadow and speaks forcefully at him through the godly bond in their minds. I am sent by Darius. You toe the oaths bound. These are Igle's lands. She demands that you get out.

No.

No? Are you not wary? Darius now has the Khrysaor. Or have you traveled too far down the path you made for yourself so long ago that you care for none but yourself.

She paused for an answer. None came.

You cannot treat these mortals as chattel. What if one of them dies... Why can you not just stay away from them as the rest of us do?

I wouldn't call what you do with them, staying away. His deep voice layers the comment with innuendo and a wicked laughter sounds in her head.

You lower gods will never learn, will you!

I am not here to learn any longer. What could I, a god, possibly learn from mortals? I am here to enjoy the creation of Ahura Mazda and to thwart you.

This is an old argument. I understand that I cannot change your mind so believe what you like, but you must obey the oath, or the god of oaths will rain lightning upon you.

Darius had not said he'd act, but she couldn't help threatening it, not with Xerses provoking her.

I am warned. Now be gone or I will remove you.

The threat rung true, though she could not fear him, she did fear for the mortals.

So, she turns away.

Besides he can no longer hide. Pulling the darkness around again her she gives herself to it and lets it carry her away with the ether.

For concurrent reading keep going until chapter 1.5