Part 14

Kyra

Mountains of Italy

Kyra goddess of light hides within a stream of moonbeam. She has not been daring enough to drop into the campfire with so many of the lower gods milling around it. The camp is in a commotion. Xerses has arrived with news and once he takes his pleasures all will hear it.

From this height off the ground, Kyra watches the humans in their pits. She sees the huddling cold bodies being comforted by the nearness of others. She watches a small shivering child get tucked under the skirt of a female. She can hear their stomachs growling, see their darting eyes and whispered curses. But she also can feel their strength. Their hope. This last is so full, so thick it almost lay like a blanket over the pits.

How can these people have hope? Kyra saw the process Xerses went through when he chose those he would have his pleasure with. He took the best and brightest young ones. There were angry faces but not fighting, not despair.

She could not understand it. She did not particularly pay close attention to humans, still, she'd seen much war. She'd seen much humanity and lack thereof and she'd been around long enough to know how they reacted to such perceived violations. Kyra never truly felt pity for their blight on those occasions. Gods could take what they want, it is the role, it is what comes with power. But this lack of screaming, of fighting, this acceptance bothered her.

There was something different about these people. She wanted to know what it was.

Had Xerses worn them down? No that was illogical because it is not apathy that pushes up from the pits forcing her to acknowledge it through all her complacency; it is hope. Hope. How? She must think on this.

Whatever the answer, the emotion comes at a time where Kyra finds herself vulnerable to it. Darius' proclamation of his decision to let the humans affect him, to see if somehow these mortals —which they have always assumed were a nonfactor— if they perhaps are the crutch of the test. She blends and moves with the moonbeam and finds that this hope reaches up toward her like an icy hand of mist. She also realizes with surprise that she's allowed it to take root and for a moment she sees differently.

Her experience is interrupted by the emergence of Xerses. "Gather." He calls in his gruff voice.

The lower gods present—Aglaine, Skylla, Zor, Thalassee, and Amos—move to surround him.

"I have secretly spent several days with the Ferma gods and I have to report that they have changed. They are powerful beyond anything I have seen except in myself. This earth responds to them now."

"They have been unfairly helped by the Elders." Skylla immediately shrieks.

"They always think they are better than us, but they cheat to achieve it." Aglaine spits.

"I think you are right Skylla, some of what I saw cannot be explained except with that."

"I will go talk to Ammon." Zor offers.

"No. I will need to do that." Xerses quickly responds.

"If they are breaking the oaths and have this unfair advantage then why don't we punish them?"

"From what I have seen we should not attempt to fight them until we are in very great need of doing so. Though I do not think they have perfected the art of war as we have. They do not want to hurt the mortals and they will guard them. This is our only advantage that I can see."

"If they are not strong in combat what is this that you speak of they have perfected?" Amos questions.

"Travel, hiding, and working with the elements of this rock. One of them could be here now hiding in the firelight and we would never see them."

"How? How is this possible?"

Thalassee speaks for the first time his small voice informative, "Perhaps it is because they have practiced. I have visited my sister Igle from time to time when I needed rest and comfort. Well, once I saw her heal a stag; its bone protruded out of its skin. It was starving in the forest. Before she knew I was with her, she mended the animal. She just... pulled the leg and shoved the bone back together and moments later it ran off."

"And you didn't consider that information to be worth sharing?"

"I didn't think any of you would care," Thalassee responds defensively. "I have been going to her for lessons on how to do what she does. I share her male creator and thought perhaps I could learn, and I did not feel I could do it on my own for I attempted a similar healing. I was not successful, but I did feel that I could be. I sensed the power I just didn't have the understanding of what needed to happen. I have been visiting her for several decades and she has never withheld training."

There is silence for the space of a minute and Kyra wonders if they are going to choose to listen, choose to be taught and choose a different path. She hopes for them.

Zor is the first to speak. "Traitor!" He then grabs Thalassee by the hair and pulls him to the ground. Xerses watches but does nothing about the beating Thalassee receives by the hand of Zor.

Xerses does get bored though and turns to his fellows. "We are gods! We are all-powerful. Do not be seduced by this. Remember who you are. You see that I am powerful. I can do all that they can. I tell you it is a matter of force. Forcing your will upon this earth. I admit you all are not as adept as they, but it is because your will is weak. When you are properly motivated, you will see what I mean. For now, I will talk with Ammon and for his betrayal, he will tell me where the cave we seek, lies. Bring me the portal."

Amos moves to the tents and returns out with a large black, circular piece of Kitanob, the element of Kolalabra. Xerses places his ringed hand on it and is sucked into the portal. All the while Thalassee is continuing to get beaten.

Skylla speaks. "I will light the torches around the pits and throw down the mortal's evening vitals."

"Try not to throw it in their waste again. They would not eat it and we don't want them to die before they are useful." Amos reminds.

Skylla scoffs. "Shut that mouth of yours Amos or I will be forced to practice some of my skills in warfare right now."

"You do not frighten me."

Lightning-quick the goddess' hand strikes out. She grips Amos' throat right where the larynx lives and with a doubly powerful pull back rips the soft tissue from Amos' neck. "I guess I do have something to throw into the human waste." She jeers as she holds up the flesh-colored mass.

Amos glares at her and moves his lips. Though no sound comes.

"Don't you dare trespass in my mind or I will throw this down there?" Skylla threatens and walks away with his throat.

Kyrasees an opportunity while the gods are distracted and fall toward the poppingfire. Folding her dimensions together and together again she pulls her physicalform into itself. When Skylla lights the torches Kyra will be on one of them andwhen closer to the humans she will study them more. Also, she will be availablewhen Xerses returns. If he finds the cave tonight, she must be with him.