Part 12

Circle of the Gods

Darius, Akakios, Selene, Sybeil, Kyra

"Did the warning work, Darius?" Selene asks.

"We will see. They still follow the mortal, and so do I." Darius's voice comes through the portal.

"I worry for her. What if they kill her?" Kyra's timid voice wonders.

"Let us hope that the threat will stop the atrocities both toward the mortals in Igle's lands and this one," Wisdom says.

"Sybeil, you seem to care for these mortals, and you, Rhea, and you Kyra. Why?" The leader questions.

The goddess shrugs, "I feel it is in my nature perhaps. I do not think it is feelings for them per se more a general desire for peace and health and well-being for the inhabitants of Ahura's creation, this earth, and these souls."

The leader nods. "Well whatever I feel or don't feel for the humans, I begin to dislike Xerses' use of them." He continues, "With prompting from several conversations and a few strange situations guiding me, I have decided I will attempt a different tac with the humans. I am going to attempt to open myself up. I don't know if it will help or what it will do but I am determined to try anything for the sake of our test. Anyhow, I need to report that before Astrin and Inanna began following this girl. I met her. She was the crazed barista I spoke of."

"You said she acted differently than any mortal you had ever contacted."

"Yes. And regardless of her strange temperament, the way Astrin looked at her—as if she were a meal—has me already feel the beginnings of worry for her."

The group murmurs.

"Do you feel it is benefiting you?" The voice of wisdom asks.

"We shall see my fellows, we shall see." The leader sighs, "Well, there are logistics to take care of. We must send Taras for clean-up. A road is unexplainably destroyed, so we must be proactive."

"Agreed, I will summon him," Akakios replied.