Part 10.5

Selene

Mountains of Italy

Selene goddess of the moon flows through the forest as if she were one with the ocean of gases surrounding the planet called earth. In this form her spirit is intact but her physical form is spread, separated into cells and mingled with the vapors around her, making her large and full and invisible but still a form. She knows exactly where all her parts and pieces are, unlike when one was disassembled—as Inanna and Astrin should be at this moment via Khrysaor—their cells mixed and scattered to the atmosphere. Her windy form smiles a secret smile.

Moving through trees, her form maneuvers around and through obstacles without a hitch for it is still connected by the essence of her spirit and the control she possesses from centuries of practice.

The ground, once green and covered with glorious vegetation is now mounded dirt. Beside the piles of earth are deep holes filled with mortals. Humble village people, shivering from the cool night air. Selene halts. She listens to their teeth-chattering as they converse, and it is soon clear that they are not and will not speak of their predicament. They are heavily enthralled.

She moves pass them. Searching. Using the height of her inflated form to cast her gaze over trees and around mountains of dirt. Finally, she hears a rumble of engines. She sees the lights. Focusing her sight, she discerns that it is Zor, Skylla and Amos coming near. Since none of these gods' elements are dark and shadow she pulls herself in and stacks her cells, her matter, back in their rightful dimension, simultaneously pushing the air molecules out.

As her form begins to be discernable, she sets a portion her mind to completing the job while another part of her mind focuses on pulling shadow and darkness like a cloak of comfort around her.

She sighs. This form, the one of silhouette and night feels more natural. As her entire being shrinks and blends with the trees gloom and the moons glow, darkness rolls off her like water on a duck and this convinces her that Her creator god Mah could not blend with the night any better himself. She smiles as the vehicles pull into the clearing of the camp. Swerving between the dirt mounds and pits they slow and stop. The moment the engine clicks off Selene hears it: moan's and screams and kicking and banging. It is coming from the covered beds of the trucks.

Amos, the wiry but very strong god releases himself from one of the metal contraptions and runs a hand through his curly red, tightly clipped hair. "You must admit he is a bit off. He's been at it for days and nothing."

"He will find it Amos. Have a little faith." Skylla answers.

The word 'faith' pricks at Selene's ears but then the two of them remove the covering off the truck and Selene sees legs and arms and heads, bucking and kicking and reaching.

Zor, the beautiful, angelic looking twin of Inanna moves from the other truck and begins yanking on body parts. "Out you go." He taunts in a rising melody.

Once the young child he had a hold of is released from the jumble of bodies Zor stands the boy up and yells, "Stop crying." In his face. The boy crumples in pain as his hands cover his ears.

"They are all the same as this?" A familiar voice bounds from out of the darkness and Xerses steps up to his fellows; the same chained woman at his side.

"Yes, they are. I personally guarantee it."

"Wonderful. Let's get them in the pits with the others, and I have some good news for you all."

"You found it?"

Xerses' frowned, "No." He yanks on the chain and the woman falls to her knees. "Darius has attacked Inanna and Astrin."

"Truly?"

"Yes, but here is the good news. Khrysaor missed."

"How could it miss?"

"It did not happen on purpose, you idiot."

"Darius knows not what he is doing?"

"However, the fact that he defended..."

"...or tried to defend." Zor smiles with only one side of his mouth as he said this.

Xerses sighs. "...this specific mortal means..."

"She is the one we are looking for. How could Darius know?"

"How does he have Khrysaor? I must go to him. To the girl they followed. She is the key."

Selene'sconsidered completely the idea that the girl Inanna and Astrin follow was akey? And with all her godly mind Selene is confused. Only one thing to do. Pullingher essence around the tree and collecting herself into the darkness of theforest, she flees. Darius must know the rules, and what this all meant. If not,Xerses truly was ahead in this game.