Liberation//23

Liberation: The action of setting someone free from imprisonment, oppression etc.; release.
——————————————————————

"(Y/N),
Congratulations, you've managed to survive. I hope you will be ready to adapt to my presence. You will be seeing me more often now, little lamb. We will need to set some rules later. Remember, trying to escape or trying anything else that you think might save you is pointless. One word, and your life will become miserable, much more than it is now. Last thing, leave your window unlocked. Forget to do it, your limbs will hang around the apartment as decoration. I hope that we are clear."

An alarm was what woke (Y/N) up. She noticed that her phone was left on a charger as well, confusing her at first.

It was probably Jack.

The girl felt relief and dread at the same time. She was alive, but at what cost? Her freedom? It was humorous to say, she was free but she wasn't at the same time. Reading his letter, she couldn't help but chuckle. Who would've thought that she'd be reading a letter like this.

The bathroom was her sanctuary. Place she could be entirely alone and spend hours staring into her reflection. Her hair needed proper care. The shower she took on a Saturday was only to keep her clean, that's it. Raising her hand, she caressed her own face, seeing how tired it looked. Her eyes didn't seem to shine like before, no makeup would cover the eye-bags on her face.

Stepping into the shower, she let the hot water run down her stiff body, the pain of being in one position throughout the whole night was annoying. (Y/N) still wasn't sure if Jack was serious about this.

Why would he leave me alive? Who's to say that he wasn't just toying with me and that he'll kill me at some point?

Each day, more questions would pop up in her head, but there was no one to answer them. Sure, she could ask Jack, but how can she believe him at all?

Her head hurt.

The silence in her apartment on early mornings never bothered her. She would sometimes turn on her radio while getting ready for work, but usually there would be no sound. This time however, nothing could cure the eerie silence that surrounded her. The place she called home no longer felt safe.

Packing her bags, (Y/N) walked over to her locked window, wondering why'd Jack lock it at all when leaving.

Probably to test me again.

Unlocking it, she made her way out and headed to work.

"Look at you, you've never looked worse!" Tanya exclaimed upon seeing her coworker. (Y/N) shot her a frown as she placed her things.

"Thanks."

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just - you look like you haven't slept in weeks! This can't be from schoolwork (Y/N)!"

"Well it is. I've been slacking Tanya, the work piled up and now I'm in shit because of it."

"Is there anything I could do to help you? Maybe an essay or something? If there is, please let me help (Y/N), you're worrying me. Are you eating properly at least?"

God, I hate lying.

(Y/N) sighed, placing her hand on her head. Life was so much easier when she didn't have to worry about hiding a murderer.

"I am eating enough, don't worry about it. There aren't many things to write. Just some analysis on books we've been given to read. Thank you for offering, but there's not much you could do."

"Don't wait for me to offer help (Y/N), you know that I'd drop any plan if you really need it. Don't risk your own health dumbass."

Oh, if only you knew that my well-being isn't in my own hands.

"Thank you, really. It means a lot." (Y/N) felt bad again. Lying to her closest friends made her heart ache, but there wasn't anything she could do about it. There was no way she could get rid of the masked killer. Calling the police as set up would only get her killed. Jack would know the moment she tried to dial them or go to the station. She was pretty sure he'd gut the whole unit and then herself.

"Hey, try and work less today. I don't mind taking your part." Her coworker said, her voice expressing care. (Y/N) loved Tanya, the girl was only two years older than her, but still acted like a mother to everyone.

Tanya knew how to be harsh sometimes, saying things without thinking first, but she'd always make up for it. Her heart was always in the right place.

She took up on the offer. It was stupid, but she really needed just a couple of hours for herself. Somewhere where she was safe from Jack, from the tarnished apartment. She felt some sort of freedom in this small café. The girl didn't even want to think about whether Jack knew where she worked or not. Even if he had, she chose to believe that he didn't.

He was a mess. Laying on his back, Jack inhaled the sweet scent of his washed clothes. His mouth bloody from a recent snack, the liquid from his sockets running all the way from his cheeks to his neck – then to the pillow. It was cold in the shed.

Jack cursed at his mind for replaying the moments from the weekend. The girls saddened expression when he had answered her question was engraved in his brain. It annoyed him. Frankly he couldn't stop thinking about all of her expressions he had seen. All but happiness. No, he did see her happy expressions, of course he had. She had laughed and smiled in front of his eye-sockets many times. With Oliver and her other friends, that is.

How weird, he thought.

He found it confusing as to why his head prompted him with questions he already knew the answer to.

Why had he left her alive? Entertainment.

Why hadn't he at least taken one kidney? She would never write or talk to me again and I'd have to kill her because of it.

So why doesn't he kill her? Because there won't be anyone to entertain me.

What was it like to have someone look at him with pity? No. Shut up.

Forcing himself to get up from the uncomfortable mattress, Jack found himself walking towards the abandoned park. He needed to clear his head. Everything that happened over the past two days surely was exhausting.

Jack never had to deal with a human for so long, so this new experience frustrated him. For some reason he held back from most things he usually did. Hell, he didn't even talk to the girl as much - and he should've.

He was a killer. An eldritch abomination of some sorts who was in every way, shape and form more superior than a regular human. Yet somehow, he felt inferior when he was with (Y/N). Maybe it was because of how smart she could be, or maybe it was the expressionless face she'd wear even if he knew she was getting crushed by fear.

The girl sure has guts if anything. It's annoying.

Weather seemed to show signs of rain coming along. The park Jack stood in right now brought some sort of comfort, even if it looked disturbing. The time on his watch ticked 5:13PM.

She should be home by now.

Looking into the distance of the forest, he figured he'd wait a day or two before going back to her place. They had more things to talk about.
—————————————————————
Hi! This chapter was just a little bit rushed because I just had to publish it before Eurovision starts,, so I apologize if it isn't as good.
Hope you are all having a wonderful day, and remember to take care of yourselves! <3