Connection//26

Connection: A relationship in which a person or thing is linked or associated with something else.
—————————————————————

(Y/N) decided not to go to college for the rest of the week, she'd only go to work and return home. Lauren and Andrew would send her all the notes they took over the week, making the girl mentally note that she should try and write them down during the weekend.

During the weekdays, (Y/N) made amends with Jack. She no longer feared him as much, their conversations throughout the day made (Y/N) believe that Jack was a just a tad bit fried in the brain. Other than that, as long as she wasn't disrespectful, he would treat her normally. She didn't know what made him change his mind, maybe he had grown tired of it, or maybe because she helped him.

Jack wasn't the most readable man. She knew his favorite book, movie and why he had to eat kidneys along with some of his other modifications but that was about it. His body language was as dead as a horse and she couldn't see his expressions because of the mask.

She was intrigued.

Remembering when he had told her that he could only eat kidneys, (Y/N) felt bad. It must be hellish to rely only on eating one type of food – hard one to get as well.

Kidneys...wait.

The girl gasped out loud, but it didn't alarm the man sitting next to her. Her mind put the pieces together, finally letting her think clearly. Remembering the article she found a month ago, she couldn't help but think he had something to do with it.

The mask, his pissy mood when she mentioned the cult – He must be the murderer from back then, or at least be connected to it somehow.

It would surely be risky to ask him about it though – and even if she did, who's to say that he would answer just like that. It was obvious that he was uncomfortable with the subject.

"Is it a normal occurrence for you to just gasp loudly out of nowhere and then not say anything?"

Turning her head towards Jack, she noticed how he stared at her with, well... a mask on his face.

Christ that thing gets on my nerves.

"No, I just remembered something."

"What?"

Oh come on, give me a break.

There wasn't many things that could save her now, there weren't any particular things she could use to lie her way out of this situation. Sure, she could just say the truth, but she felt like that might get him mad and she'd get a one-way ticket to her great-grandparents. Sighing, the girl averted her gaze to the TV.

"That actress is pregnant."

"And that was worth a loud gasp?"

Rolling her eyes, she faced him once again, this time with a more confident expression. (Y/N) was aware of the fact that Jack probably knew that she was lying, but as long as he didn't say anything about it, she didn't really care.

"Obviously. God, Jack, you seem to be my age and you aren't even caught up with today's entertainment industry. What's that all about?"

Maybe because he is a murderer, I don't know – that was such a bad lie.

"I kill people."

"Yeah... Yeah you do."

To say that this conversation was one of the worst ones (Y/N) has had in a while seemed pretty valid. Not only was that a bad lie, but she also had no idea if that actress was actually pregnant. The only thing left for her was to pray that Jack didn't use the internet.

Thankfully, Jack dropped the subject and focused on watching the movie, leaving (Y/N) to her own thoughts. She'd decided to re-visit all of the things her and Lauren, together with Andrew, found back in October later tonight.

The girl was lucky to have such a considerate murderer in her house, because usually murderers would do their job, not room with their victims.

She didn't want to ask him about that little shenanigan he had going on either, this type of freedom was better than being locked up in a medieval-styled dungeon. There was no need to risk that. Ignorance is bliss, and if being ignorant meant that he wouldn't lock her up somewhere if she asks too many questions then so be it.

However, (Y/N) was quite curious about Jack overall – not for the things he did, but mostly his looks.

If he was comfortable showing those sharp teeth, what could be hiding underneath the rest of the mask that made it so hard to take it off? He had a normal nose, normal lips – it was just the teeth, and maybe the dark gray skin. Hell, even the skin wasn't as weird as those teeth are. They were like the ones of a shark, just a tad bit sharper.

So, what was the rest of it? What if he has a third eye...

"Are you listening?"

"Huh?"

Snapping out of her thoughts, (Y/N) found herself staring at a navy blue mask inches away from her face. Awkwardly smiling at the boy in front of her, she gently pushed him away with her hand, trying to regain her personal space.

"I asked you if you have any books to leave here when you go to work tomorrow."

"Oh. Yeah I do. Is there anything specific you want to read?"

His weird shift on the couch made (Y/N) move a little as well, but it also made her raise her eyebrow slightly, wondering what caused such a change in behavior all of a sudden. There was a tone change in his voice, which made her think his wounds re-opened.

"You pick. It doesn't matter to me."

"Are you okay? Are the stitches okay?"

Jack didn't want to tell her that his obvious discomfort was because of her heartbeat. With his senses advanced, he could hear human heartbeats if they were loud enough and close enough. Hers was apparently doing cardio, and he didn't know why. It was obvious that her story about a pregnant celebrity was a lie, but he figured that it must've been something she wasn't planning to share so he let her be.

"The stitches are fine. I'm tired."

"Alright, lay down then, I was planning to go to sleep too anyway."

He was glad that she could be gullible sometimes. It seemed that both of them were nothing but bad liars when under pressure – it was an amusing comparison. Watching as she took her stuff and walked to her room, Jack made himself comfortable on the couch.

Her heartbeat soon got quieter, making him close his eyelids and relax into the soft pillow. The boy was only able to fall asleep when he couldn't hear the rapid beating of (Y/N)'s heart anymore, knowing that she has finally calmed down.

———————————————————
Here's a new chapter for you all! It seems that maybe, perhaps, possibly, the reader will quite soon find out what's behind that mask.
I really have nothing more to say, so that'll be all for tonight - Remember to take care of yourselves! Get enough sleep and drink as much water as you can! <3