Charnel//47

Charnel: Short for 'Charnel House' meaning – a building or vault in which corpses or bones are piled.
———————————————————

Monday

"Dear diary,
Recently I have been watching the news. I noticed how hard the police is trying to catch the killer, I hope they do. I have finished reading the book from before and decided to read "I Don't Agree" by Michael Brown. The cover of the book is very interesting. I hope that the book will be too."

(Y/N) stared at her phone, more precisely the cover of the book Jack wrote down in the letter. A red cover with big bold letters "I DON'T AGREE" printed on it. However, the funny thing was that the title was scribbled over the letters "N'T" which made the cover say "I DO AGREE."

She giggled at the thought of Jack looking for a book that will retaliate her previous letter. The girl put her phone back in her pocket and sat on the nearest bench, deciding to write a letter back right away.

"Dear diary,
I was questioned by the police recently, I'm glad to be of help. They have finished with the search yesterday, but there were no news reports. I hope that they will soon tell us that all of this is over. Of course until they say that everything can go back to normal I'll make sure to be careful. I really don't want to make my parents worry."

This whole speaking through codes thing irritated (Y/N). She felt like a child because of the way she was writing. She made sure to make her handwriting look a little more childish as well, since Jack did it too.

She headed home after a while, tiredness being evident from work and college today. Even if the girl didn't have to fear for her life anymore, she still appreciated the fact that the days were longer now. She never liked walking through dark alone anyway.

It's almost been a week since Jack left.
She missed him quite a bit, but this time she wasn't consumed by the thoughts of it. Knowing that he'll take care of himself properly made her feel a little better about the situation. However that still didn't stop the small ball of worry that rested in her stomach because she still didn't know if the police had some hidden motives or not. The only thing she needed right now was to hear the news tonight, in hopes that there will be something new.

"Tonight we will be speaking about the five day search the police has done. The three remaining people that were missing were found on a Sunday afternoon, unfortunately not alive. Reports claim that the bodies were found in the ruins of what appeared to be a shed, completely mangled. Detective Shirley has said that the condition the bodies were found were beyond anything he has seen before. Along with the bodies, the police found coordinates written in blood on a piece of a wooden board. They will be working on finding the exact place and hopefully, they'll catch the killer soon."

Coordinates? Just what did Jack plan?

The news awoke a new worry within (Y/N). Jack was smart, there's no doubt about that, but she couldn't think of a logical reason as to why he'd give coordinates to the cops. Now the only thing she's able to do is wait until Saturday to find out.

Another thing that occupied her mind is why would the police make that public. She couldn't give a logical answer as to why they'd talk about everything that they've been doing.

Could it be to lure him out? Mock him in a way, saying that they can find him even if they make the public worry? Or are they just dumb?

Saturday

"Dear diary,
It appears that the killer will be caught soon. That's good, the town will finally be able to go back to normal. I hope that's the case at least. My parents called me as soon as they heard the news and I knew instantly that they were worried, but I've said that there's no need to be. I hope they don't have sleepless nights because of me."

What was he on about? How can I not be worried when he went ahead and possibly gave out his own location?

Frowning at the letter, (Y/N) kept squeezing her free hand in a fist. Ever since Monday she'd been watching the news religiously but they haven't once mentioned anything about the progress the cops made. It was getting hard to act all happy and cheerful around her friends.

"Dear diary,
Math class today was awfully confusing. There were some equations and various numbers that just didn't seem to make any sense to me. Who even invented math? I still didn't live the day in which I had to use complicated equations and theorems in my daily life. Other than math, in psychology class we worked with kids. We had to explain to them that sometimes when things get hard, they need to share their thought process with people they trust."

While writing the response, (Y/N) kept thinking about how she'll abolish Jack for giving them two days both far and close to each other to exchange letters. One day of waiting wasn't bad, four however?

Absolutely uncalled for.

She didn't feel like going home after placing her letter in its place, so she went ahead and sat in the nearby café. While there, she had called her parents and Oliver, trying to waste time and mainly because she missed hearing their voices. Oliver managed to cheer her up as usual, considering that he always had interesting stories to share.

It was funny how much would happen in her hometown while she wasn't there. Each time she'd visit nothing worthy of gossiping would happen which led to Oliver calling her a bad omen of some sorts.

People just refused to be interesting or embarrassing near you, he claimed.

Ah, if only he'd know about all the sorts of interesting things happening to me right now.

Minutes turned into hours, and she knew she should leave the café soon, it'd be weird to sit there alone for so long. Lucky for her, at least she'd have things to do for college. She thought about going to the store to get some groceries as well. There was enough time to make a schedule for all of that, as long as it makes her mind calm down.

But the thought of Jack hiding something from her annoyed her still. Her head was once again, filled with all kinds of things that just had no answers to them.

Kind of like philosophy.

—————————————————
Hello everyone! This chapter is just a little bit shorter since I've had guests over for quite a while, so I'm spending more time with them. The next chapter will be up on Friday, hopefully a little longer than this one. That's all I have to say for now, have a wonderful day/night and remember to take care of yourselves!