Chapter Two.

Hello everyone! Alright, so I'm going to try and make this short, because I've noticed my author's notes are always unnecessarily long... So first, I don't usually cast original characters, just because I want you to imagine them for youself, but I'm choosing AnnaSophia Robb to play Marley in this story. :) On the right. ---> 

Also, full credit to the Hate List, by Jennifer Brown, which is a real book. If you haven't read it, I recommend it, it's very good! 

Alright, that's all I'll say now; just that and that I'm back in school now. So yup, ugh. Alright, read on! And please give me comments as always, I love to hear honest opinions! What do you think is going to happen?? :) <3

Marley

            “Thank you, have a nice day,” I mumble, passing a couple their bag of pastries and sweets. 

            The woman gingerly takes the bag from me, giving me a slightly sad smile. Meanwhile, her husband (or boyfriend) only shakes his head at me with something close to a snarl on his face. He quickly puts his hands on the small of the woman’s back and leads her out, almost as if he’s trying to protect her… from me. 

            I sigh, biting my lip and moving back to stand behind the display case and reorganize. Though the goods in front of me don’t really need to be rearranged at all, it gives me an excuse to do something, to avoid people’s prying eyes.

            I’ve been convincing myself that the incident would all blow over soon enough. But three weeks later, here I am, and I’m probably the most hated being in the world right now. 

            I mean, part of me can’t blame them. If I read about some person that, in the end, willingly gave up their best friend’s life to save their own, I’d probably think something pretty nasty too. 

            “Hello, how may I help you today?” Ben, my middle aged boss, says as he pops out from the back room. There must’ve been a customer I didn’t notice, or who I was trying to avoid, just to avoid the human contact as well. 

            I straighten up, trying to avoid looking at anyone in the room, but I feel the person’s gaze fall on me. When I finally dare to meet it, I only see a cold type of anger, maybe even hatred. 

            “I’ll have a bag of lemon meringues…” The person says unsteadily, and I can tell I’m still in their thoughts. They’re hostile, but they’re there. 

            I gulp and walk away before I can feel more hurt by the unfriendly stares. Passing through the soft curtain into the back room, I find the only other person in there is Ben’s wife, Clarissa.

            “Marley dear,” she greets, a small smile warming her face. “How’re you feeling?”

            Admittedly, it feels good to have someone smile at me. And not just a tight-lipped-trying-to-be-polite smile, but one that’s genuine. It feels just as good to have someone honestly want to know how I’m feeling too. If anyone else asked, they’d probably be hoping the answer is something terrible, but not with Clarissa.

            “Fine,” I say simply, knowing that most everyone knows that “fine” isn’t really fine in the slightest.

            Clarissa’s gaze softens even more, if possible. “Want to take a break?” She asks gently. “Go to that place you always disappear to?”

            I frown slightly. “What do you mean?” I ask. 

            She lets loose a small giggle. “What?” She asks. “You think Ben and I don’t notice that on your breaks you never stick around? You always run off somewhere, but we’ve never mentioned it because you always come back.”