Epilogue.

Dedication: I told myself that I definitely owe @24Hours_StillRising (Persephone) a dedication - I told myself that, she didn't ask - becuase of a few reasons: 1) She wrote a positively amazing comment a couple chapters ago, after having read and cuaght up completely to this story. 2) She didn't just look deeper into the meaning, she buried herself in it, along with characterization and an almost philisophical view of it (I love that, because I'm studying philosophy). and 3) she is a brilliant author herself and has wowed me more than once with her writing, enough said. Finally, she is a wonderful person and... well, I could on for pages, but I won't. <3

Marley

            I can’t help grinning as I step inside my (still) all-time favorite place in the world, this time with Harry by my side. Oddly enough, neither of us has really been here since the beginning, since meeting, which probably goes to say a lot. We’ve developed, we’ve grown, and now it’s still a place of comfort, but not a necessity, not something we have to lean on to survive.

            Miriam welcomes the pair of us into Leatherbound, that always-knowing smile of her face. Now, it’s got a little tint of something else in it, an indescribable look that matches the pride in her eyes.

            “Miriam,” Harry is the first to greet her, even going so far as to hold his arms open for a hug. “Nice to see you.”

            Miriam seems to laugh a bit at that, slowly returning Harry’s hug. “It’s been too long, for both of you,” she gives me a pointed look. “Though I’ve heard you’ve been up to a lot these past few months.”

            I think Harry and I both get the feeling that Miriam knows everything, from the news and from just reading us here and now. As always, she’s amazingly perceptive, and something tells me that even without press and social media (which I doubt she uses) she’d know somehow, someway.

            “That’s one way to put it,” Harry laughs as he pulls away, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “But enough with us, what’s been going on with you? How’s business been?”

            There’s an almost sly feature to Miriam’s expression at that, almost as if she doubts that we don’t know. “Well today, it’s probably more than we’ve gotten in a year,” she says pointedly, gesturing with a sweep of her arm. “I mean really, look at the attention you two have brought to this place.”

            And I guess when I really stop and look around, it’s true. Leatherbound has always been that little hole-in-the-wall type of place, a place where a hair’s fraction of the human population actually knows about, let alone goes to.

            In fact, if anyone were to tell me that this is the place I used to go to when I wanted solace and alone time, I would never believe it. And in all truth, part of me is a bit sad about it, because having it private and small made it unique, made it special and like a secret that only a select few could really visit. Selfishness aside though, the attention is good for Miriam and the store, and the money it’ll bring will be well worth it.

            Glancing at Harry out of the corner of my eye, I can easily tell that he feels the same. Still though, when he catches my eye he only smiles and nods, almost like a silent message saying, we owe it to her. It’s okay.

            “When are you two speaking?”

            Harry and I instantly glance at the old grandfather clock in the corner, hands drawing closer to 2:00 by the second.