Chapter 5

I looked down at Bella, still in pain even after Sirius ended the call with his father. I suggested that we go up to bed and since I had a spare one in my room she could stay with me. She agreed thankfully so we headed upstairs.

We both said goodnight to Sirius who was still so uptight and worried about the whole situation and I helped Bella upstairs. I gave her some spare pyjamas and helped her get changed and into bed. "Thank you for doing this Y/N" She said smiling at me. "Honestly it's no problem, Bella. I'm just glad you're alright" I paused briefly before speaking again "Um, can I ask you something?" "Of course, anything!" I cleared my throat and sat down on her bed next to her. "During the sorting ceremony, you smirked at me before sitting down. Why?" Her eyes widened. "Oh, I- uh. I didn't think you had realised, I'm sorry. I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable or anythi-" I cut her off by placing my hand on her cheek "It's fine, don't worry about it. You didn't make me uncomfortable" I smiled at her and contemplated speaking further, "Actually, I liked it. I don't know about you but when I laid my eyes on you I felt something that I can't explain" She looked up at me and stared into my Y/E/C eyes. "I felt it too" I blushed and she must have seen because she giggled. "That was why I smirked, I knew we would be friends Y/N, I just wish it didn't begin in this way" Her face grew sad which upset me. "Bella, don't be sad. I'm really glad that you're here, and safe" I lifted her chin up with my finger, her eyes were brimming with tears. "I don't get why you're so nice to me, everyone hates me... and fears my family" She sniffled "Why do people hate you? And your family?" A tear rolled down her cheek.

"I'm guessing you don't know much about my family" I pulled her into a hug, she was so fragile. "I don't Bella know because I'm a 'mudblood'" I exclaimed recalling what Alecto had called me. She pulled away and gasped "why would you call yourself that Y/N?!" I laughed but she seemed genuinely concerned. "I don't know what it means, Sirius wouldn't tell me. I only know of it because Alecto called me it when she was posing as you" I said unbothered. "Y/N I am so sorry" "Bellatrix Black, you have nothing to be sorry for. It wasn't you! Please don't apologise, what I don't know can't hurt me" She sighed in relief to hear me say that everything is fine. "I can promise you Y/N I will never call you that. Blood status means nothing to me, muggle-born or not, you're still my friend" it pleased me to hear her call me her friend and again, she caught me blushing.

"Can I ask you one more thing?" "Sure, go ahead" I took a deep breath before asking "could you tell me why your family is feared?" Her expression fell and I knew I had upset her "erm, maybe another time Y/N. I'm tired and still in pain, sorry" I immediately regretted asking "No of course. It's okay, I shouldn't have asked" Knowing that her family was a touchy subject, similar to mine, I know now to avoid it. "Right, let's get you to bed" I said smiling and she smiled back, what a relief. I stood up and tucked her in, kissing her on the forehead before getting up and going to my own bed.

I lay there for a while, thinking about her. I just know we will make good friends and I can rest easy, knowing that she is safe with me.

I must have fallen asleep because I was woken by a scream. It was Bella. I didn't have to think twice and I got up and rushed over to her. She was physically shaking, rocking back and forth. "Shhh, Bella it's alright. It was just a dream" I rubbed her back and she tensed at first but soon relaxed once I held her in my arms. She stopped shaking at the feeling of my embrace and she melted into my grasp. She began to cry into my chest, soaking my pyjama top. I didn't mind though, as long as I made her feel safe. "Do you want to talk about it?" She shook her head and sniffled into me. She was so fragile, it pained me to see her like this because I know deep down she is a tough cookie. "Shh, it's alright. I can stay with you till you fall asleep if you like?" She looked up and me with puppy dog eyes and nodded. I fully climbed into her bed, my arms still wrapped around her. She laid her head on my chest and it wasn't long until I could hear light snores. I kissed the top of her head and ran my fingers through her hair. 

I must have ended up falling asleep with her because when I woke, her head was on my chest. I slowly edged away from her so I didn't wake her, she looked so peaceful. I had to find Sirius...