Chapter One: 'Our toil shall strive to mend'

A/N: After a several month long hiatus, I'm back and ready to start posting regularly at last! So many of you have asked me to post The Fairest Stars here, and, after rereading it and editing here and there, I've decided to oblige ;) Hope you enjoy and thank you so much for sticking around! It means a lot :) much love! xoxo

Kael Willoughby felt thoroughly awful. His hands were sweaty, his head was throbbing, and, most irritatingly, his eyes were refusing to focus.

He had only just realized the inconvenience of blurred vision due to the woman walking past him at that exact moment. She looked extremely hot. Blurry, but hot. She was just his type, her white shirt stretched tight over her ample chest, her skirt riding up higher than was probably appropriate for a place of work, revealing long, tanned legs.

Kael leant back in his chair, flashing a casual grin at her. Giving him a saucy look, she pouted her lips a little more, swaying her hips in an exaggerated fashion as she walked off. It was all too easy, Kael thought. Shame she was rather fuzzy in places.

No. Enough about women. It was your hormones that got you into this state in the first place, Kael reminded himself. Bloody Rochelle.

It had just been another party, held in his dormitory at the extremely expensive boarding school he attended. Had attended, he remembered. Being kicked out of a private school was quite some feat, but he’d managed it.

Just another party. That was all it had been. Kael had had a large room that had plenty of space to keep smuggled alcohol safe from the teachers’ prying eyes, and the common room was just next door, staff members the other side of the school. It was the perfect place for a party.

Music blaring as loud as they dared, Kael had been enjoying himself tremendously. Having inherited his Brazilian mother’s dark hair and olive complexion, along with his father’s dark eyes and handsome features, he had always been more than just genetically blessed: he was drop dead gorgeous, and he knew it. The amount of girls shooting looks his way was more than enough to swell his ego just that little bit more, be they looks of unguarded admiration, or demurer glances, ending with lowered lashes and lip biting.

Not that any of them really enticed him. His eyes were firmly drawn to one person in particular. Or rather, certain parts of one person in particular.

She’d been dancing with her on and off boyfriend, a tall, broad rugby player named Justin. Perhaps dancing wasn’t the right word; grinding seemed more apt. This had done nothing to help Kael’s hormones, which were intensifying by the second, swelling (along with other parts of his anatomy) as the dancing got more and more heated.

It didn’t help that she was wearing such a revealing dress, either. The bright green material contrasted sharply with her tanned skin and her curly black hair, the hem of the dress only just concealing the essentials as it skimmed her bum. Her legs looked endless, her cleavage abundant. No wonder she had been making Kael’s mouth water. Along with her boyfriend’s.

Rochelle. Kael didn’t have eyes for anyone else. Even the mention of her name set the hairs on the back of his neck quivering with excitement. But she was taken, for now, and so all he could do was watch.

Well, it was all most people would do. But not Kael. And certainly not a Kael with alcohol swirling through his blood, and with an attention swelled ego. Taking a drink from the table, he headed over to where she was standing as soon as Justin left her.

‘Rochelle.’

She turned to look at him, her eyes magnified by lashings of mascara. Kael felt weak at the knees as he inhaled the heady scent of her expensive perfume. ‘Oh. Hey Kael.’