Chapter Twenty One: 'Gentle night'

Kael had always been puzzled by girls, but this really did seem to be a step too far. Why on earth would Isis burst into tears at the sight of her mother? For a moment, he stood stock still, frozen with surprise.

Isis seemed frozen too, but he moved to her side, and put his hands on both of her shoulders, looking into her tear filled eyes with concern. ‘Isis? Are you alright?’

Isis tried to speak, but tears were slipping down her face in shiny streaks. Using his thumb, Kael gently wiped them away, smiling confusedly at her. ‘Give me one second,’ she said, her voice husky with tears, and, nodding, he brushed a kiss to her temple and headed out of the door, sitting on the dingy carpet outside.

‘Mum!’ Racing over, Isis flung her arms around her mother. ‘You came out of your room!’

Her mother smiled, actually smiled, and gestured to her lap. ‘Well, I realised something. You can’t wear your brother’s cast offs and your old jeans on dates with that new boy- who, by the way, seems absolutely lovely- but, if I adjust some of my old dresses, I think they’d suit you.’

‘But you came out!’ Isis repeated. ‘You’re not in your room!’

‘Of course not. The sewing stuff was in here.’ Her mum looked round the room with a smile. ‘It’s nice to be out. It was scary at first, but I did it.’

‘I’m so proud of you,’ Isis said, meaning it. ‘That’s fantastic.’

Her mum actually blushed. ‘I was silly not to do it months ago.’ Her eyes flew to the door. ‘Anyway, I shouldn’t keep you from your man. Has he come round for a chat, or…?’

‘Well, he invited me out, but I thought I’d better check,’ Isis explained. ‘Is it alright for me to go?’

‘Of course!’ Handing her the flowery material, her mum grinned. ‘You’re just in time; I’ve literally just finished this.’

‘You have?’ Isis held up the material, shaking it out so it formed into the shape of a dress; a simple day dress that had survived the generations by being a timeless, classic cut which Isis actually liked. ‘Thanks, Mum.’

Quickly slipping into it, grabbing a cardigan, she brushed through her hair and gave her mum a hug. ‘I’m not sure when I’ll be back.’

‘Take your time,’ her mum told her, her eyes brighter than usual. She looked like a different person, Isis couldn’t help but think. ‘And enjoy yourself. You deserve some time off.’

Reaching up to kiss her on the cheek, Isis grinned at her. ‘I definitely will.’

Kael looked up as Isis came out of the living room, a huge beam plastered across her face, all trace of crying vanished. She looked stunning. Dazzling.

Dressed in a pretty flowery dress which stopped just above her knees, revealing a pair of very beautiful, slender calves, Isis looked completely different. Kael’s eyes travelled upwards, skimming over the subtle curves which the dress revealed, up to her chest where the cut of the dress, while not revealing any cleavage, hinted at the curve of her breasts, making Kael’s jaw go a little slack with surprise.

Standing up, he took both of her hands and beamed at her. ‘You look gorgeous,’ he said, noticing that the dress made her eyes appear bluer. She was like a breath of fresh summer air in the wintry evening with the dress and her hair and her freckles. He just wanted to hold her.

She flushed. ‘Thanks.’

‘So, what’s the deal, then?’ he inquired, tearing his eyes away from her legs. He was a boy, after all. ‘Are you coming for Date Number One?’