Chapter Twenty: 'Lovers'

Yawning, Kael stumbled through the doors of his Business Studies class. He’d been up half the night planning, and it was now taking its toll. Though, seeing her coming towards him that morning, grinning with her cheeks flushed pink, all his plans had suddenly been worth it. She hadn’t kissed him straight away, gesturing to her wide eyed little sister as the reason, but as soon as Freya was safely out of sight, they’d spent several minutes making up for it.

She’d been too shy to give him a full on kiss when they actually reached school, instead pressing a kiss to his cheek as she headed to Classics. But that was enough for Kael. He sat down dreamily, wondering whether it was natural to feel so over the moon about being potentially going out with a girl. It felt entirely natural to him.

Xavier was already there, and looked at him with an amused expression. ’Looks like your plans of seduction worked, no?’ he said, making Kael jump.

Kael grinned.

‘You two are going out then, are you?’ he inquired, with a smile.

Kael wrinkled his nose. ’Well, we’re going to go on a few dates, see how it goes.’ Xavier raised his eyebrows. ’Nothing official,’ Kael clarified. ’But we’ll see.’

‘Well, that shouldn’t be so hard to convince her!’ Xavier said, optimistic as ever. ’When’s the first date?’

‘Crap.’ Kael had been so busy watching her that morning that he’d entirely forgotten that he’d wanted to ask her about it. ’Hopefully tonight,’ he said. ’But we’ll see.’

 ‘Fast mover, aren’t you?’ Xavier chuckled. ‘What are you planning to do?’

‘Something extremely romantic,’ said Kael. ‘But it’s a secret.’

‘Tell me tomorrow, then,’ Xavier said, looking rather disappointed not to be let in on the secret. ‘I expect she’ll be all yours.’

‘I hope so,’ said Kael, wistfully. ‘I really do.

*

‘Okay,’ said Lydia, reading through the remainder of the script. ‘This is all done?’

Kael nodded. ‘Yeah, pretty much. Might need some editing, but I think the majority’s done.’

‘Good.’ Lydia grinned at Isis. ‘I’m surprised the pair of you managed to finish this, actually.’

‘Why?’ Isis asked, looking up from her copy of the script. He noticed she’d written her name at the top in her neatest handwriting, curling the s’s. Kael had spent his free period typing the last of it up and printing out copies for the entire cast, and seeing her excitement at reading the final product of all of their hard work had been more than enough reward for him.

‘Well.’ Lydia waggled her eyebrows at them both. ‘I take it that performance Xavier and I witnessed in the garage wasn’t exactly a one off, was it?’