Chapter Sixteen: 'You men, you beasts.'

Trudging through the streets, they kept up a steady stream of chatter. This seemed to somehow ease the bitter chill of the weather surrounding them, and Kael found his anxiety about going to her house diminishing as she talked animatedly. The streets they travelled through were dark and claustrophobic, turning into alleys as they weaved their way through a web of estates and houses. Kael hid his distaste at the area well, or so he hoped. He was so thankful that he’d come with Isis: did she really walk home alone every day? Anything could happen to her! He wouldn’t let her do it again, he couldn’t. He’d worry. Already he could just picture her walking innocently down an alley, and someone grabbing her, all too easily. He shuddered at the thought.

They walked for what seemed like miles to Kael. As they made their way down an extremely thin, long alleyway, noises suddenly assailed their ears. Loud noises. Raucous teenagers, and it sounded like they were drinking.

Isis’s hand was suddenly on his arm. He tucked it into the crook of his arm, feeling suddenly extremely protective.

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. ’If we just walk past quickly, these boys shouldn’t do anything,’ she told him, but Kael noticed that she didn’t look particularly confident in what she said. 

‘Do you know them?’ he asked, concerned by the look in her eyes.

She nodded. ‘Yeah. They usually stop me, but if they see you, they should let me go.’

Kael frowned. ‘Okay.’

They carried on walking, turning a sharp corner, and then there they were. There were about ten of them, all with hoods drawn up over their heads, obscene graffiti smothering the walls around them. Empty bottles littered the floor, and they were jeering. Hearing footsteps, one by one their heads jerked up. One of them grinned, an evil grin. ‘Look who it is!’

Isis kept on walking firmly. The boys stared at Kael.

‘Who’s your boyfriend, Isis?’ one of them asked, his voice rough.

She ignored them, continuing to walk. The tallest one reached over to her, grabbing her other arm. ‘Answer me!’ he said, his tone harsh.

Kael reacted before he could think. Shoving the boy away from Isis, he wrapped his arm firmly around her shoulders. ‘Don’t you dare touch her!’

Isis gasped. Her little hand slipped into Kael’s, tugging gently. ‘Let’s go, Kael,’ she urged, and, seeing the worry in her eyes, Kael nodded.

‘Wait! I recognise him: he’s a rich boy!’ The broadest boy stepped forward menacingly. ‘You don’t belong here,’ he spat.

‘Get back to your mansion!’ another added, reaching out and shoving him.

‘Come on,’ Isis begged, and they increased their pace. But the boys weren’t giving up that easily.

Someone grabbed Isis’s other hand. ‘Why so eager to get away, little one?’ he cooed.

‘Let go!’ she shouted, bringing her knee up sharply to get him in the balls. It worked- he shrieked and quickly let go, roughly pushing her so she stumbled.

Right. That’s it, thought Kael.

‘Don’t you dare hurt her!’ he shouted, echoing his words from earlier. Shoving the boy back, as hard as he could manage, the anger pulsed through his veins. Isis’s hand’s slipped from his as he shoved him again.

The rest of the gang livened up. ‘Fight! Fight! Fight!’ Oh god. What had he done?

The boy suddenly shoved Kael back, with more strength than he’d been expecting. Others join in, and suddenly, Kael was lost in a tangle of legs and arms and noise. Someone leapt onto him, pulling off his coat, ripping his t-shirt. The rough, gritty floor bit into his back, scratching his cheek. He mustered all his strength, pushed the boy sat on him off, and sat up, looking for Isis, blows raining down onto his torso. He couldn’t see her.