Chapter Twenty Four: 'Still Waking Sleep.'

‘So,’ Lydia began, conversationally. ‘How’s things with you and Kael?’

Isis grinned, leaning back in her seat. It was second lesson, her free of the day, and for once, rather than working on her homework, Lydia had persuaded her to come and sit in the common room with her for a chat. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d done that in a free.

‘You don’t beat about the bush, do you, Lyds?’ she commented.

Lydia shook her head. ‘Never.’ She lifted a steaming cup of hot chocolate to her lips, one she’d just bought from the canteen. Taking a gulp, she looked at Isis expectantly. ‘Go on.’

‘It’s all going wonderfully,’ Isis told her, unable to stop a smile spreading across her face. It had been a week since their first date, and things had just been going along swimmingly. ‘I can’t wait to see what the second date will be like.’

‘Of course it’ll be amazing. When is it?’ Lydia inquired, wrapping her fingers around her warm cup. ‘Soon?’

Isis nodded. ‘He asked me if I wanted to have the next one after school today,’ she told her, eagerly.

‘Really?!’ Lydia leant forward in her chair with excitement, a gleeful grin on her face. ‘Where are you going?’

‘He’s taking me back to his house,’ Isis explained. ‘He’s keeping it a secret though, the sneaky devil.’

‘Is he really?!’ Lydia’s eyes widened. ‘He lives in a mansion, doesn’t he?’

Isis nodded. ‘Yep. It’s freaking huge! I’d get lost on my way downstairs for breakfast if I lived there.’

‘If he had his way, I think you would be living there,’ Lydia commented, cheekily. ‘It sounds amazing though.’

‘It is beautiful. Tasteful, I think. It’s not flashy.’ She smiled at the memory of the last date. It had been so peaceful, so lovely to get away from everything. She couldn’t wait for today’s date: she was wearing another of her mum’s creations in honour of the occasion today. It was a simple blue dress, with a slightly nautical theme to it, little buttons across the top making it all look rather cute. She’d made it a little more casual by pairing it with black tights and a baggy cardigan, hoping that it wouldn’t look like too much, but when Kael had seen her that morning, he’d casually commented on how particularly gorgeous she looked, which made her feel as if she was dressed like a princess.

 ‘You’re a lucky girl, Isis McKinley,’ Lydia said, with a sigh, sinking back into her chair. ‘Lucky, lucky girl.’

‘I can’t quite believe it myself,’ Isis admitted. ‘It’s all a bit insane.’

‘You’re so clearly meant to be though,’ Lydia told her, with a smile. ‘The fact that he’s willing to do all this romantic stuff for you when you were only considering him as a potential boyfriend shows just how much he likes you: you can tell by the look in his eyes that you really do mean the world to him, Is.’

‘Aww,’ Isis said, flushing. She still couldn’t get used to the idea of someone feeling the strong feelings she felt for Kael for her. It just didn’t seem possible. But it must be.

Lydia grinned. ‘I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more though,’ she said, magnanimously.

‘You deserve someone amazing too, Lyds!’ Isis protested. ‘What was your ex boyfriend like?’

Lydia bit her lip. ‘Well, he was pretty good looking,’ she said. ‘And he was sweet… I just really have a thing for boys with a bit of an edge, you know?’