Chapter Twenty Five: 'I am in love.'

Kael’s recovery was, as Isis had promised, swift. He was back at school by the next day, ready with his wig to practise as both Mercutio and Paris, feeling good as new. Despite his fervent assurances that he was in the best of health, Isis insisted upon constantly telling him that he should rest a bit more, but he swatted her concerns away with a fond chuckle at her. He actually found it rather adorable, however, when she fussed over him like a mother hen; it was nice to have someone actually looking out and caring for him, for a change.

Practising with Isis was going well. He felt as if they both got into character rather well as Paris and Juliet, though he’d usually pull her to him as soon as they were finished, dying to actually kiss her and have her respond. Having her stood stock still in his arms, refusing to move as she pretended to be Juliet, was torturous.

Isis, meanwhile, hadn’t been so content before in her entire life. Her mother was actually pottering about the house during the day now, and so she would return to a house that had had all of the housework done to it, leaving her with time to learn her lines and do homework. And to spend time with Kael, of course.

She invited him back up to her house to practise lines some more one day, as he dropped her home. With a raised eyebrow, Kael glanced up at the flat where she lived. ‘Are you sure you want me to come in?’ he asked cautiously. ‘Your mum won’t mind?’

Isis chuckled. ‘My mother loves you, Kael! She’s been desperate to meet you for a long time, now.’

‘Really?’ Kael felt rather flattered. He’d wanted to make a good impression on Isis’s mum, but he hadn’t felt that he’d really had a chance yet. Clearly he’d done alright so far.

‘Yes, really,’ Isis told him, with an adorable smile. ‘Now, do you want to come, or not?’

‘Alright then.’ Getting out of the car, Kael followed Isis up to the flat where she lived. It was as grotty and unpleasant as he remembered, but he smiled encouragingly at her as she let him in.

The flat was cleaner than when he’d last been there; the carpets dingy grey, but not dirty. It looked as if the curtains had been cleaned; they were brighter, despite looking very well used.

Isis’s mum was sat on the sofa, reading a book. She looked cleaner too, Kael noted. Her hair was freshly washed, and the bags under her eyes had faded a little, making her blue eyes more prominent. Isis went over to hug her.

‘Mum, this is Kael,’ she introduced, gesturing towards him. Kael smiled at her, in what he hoped was a friendly sort of way.

Isis’s mum grinned at him, much like the sort of grin Isis gave him. ‘I’ve heard rather a lot about you, Kael,’ she told him.

‘Likewise, Mrs McKinley,’ Kael replied, as politely as he could, without wanting to be too formal and cold.

‘Oh, do call me Ellen,’ she told him. ‘Mrs McKinley sounds like an elderly matron or something!’

‘Ellen,’ repeated Kael, with one of his most charming smiles.