Chapter Twenty Three: 'So happy'

Isis was dreamily reminiscing over her last kiss with Kael as she wandered along the corridor later on that day. She still couldn’t quite believe the feelings that he made her feel, but she just loved the taste of him. How very scandalous.

She was always like this after being with him: walking along as if she was floating on air, not paying attention to anything else. Suddenly, she bashed straight into someone’s chest, and, blushing with embarrassment, she reversed, looking up to apologise.

‘Harry!’

‘Hello there,’ he replied, giving her a hug. ‘How’re you today, then?’

‘Brilliant,’ she said. ‘What about you?’

‘Alright,’ he answered, but Isis noticed that again, he looked rather pale. ‘Not too bad.’

She hadn’t seen him in ages, she realised. They hadn’t chatted for quite some time, and she just hadn’t seen him around. She felt rather guilty. Somehow, Kael seemed to have taken his place.

‘How’s the play been going?’ he asked, walking along next to her.

Isis nodded enthusiastically. ‘Oh, fantastically. I love it.’

‘That’s great,’ Harry said, encouragingly.

I really must tell him about Kael, Isis thought. But she didn’t know where to start, or how to tell him about it… it was all rather complicated to begin with, seeing as although they were acting like a couple, they still had two more dates to go before the trial period was up. Part of her just wanted him to ask her out now, so it could all be official. Now that her mum was better, she felt as if nothing was stopping her in the slightest.

Perhaps if she steered the conversation towards romance it might suddenly be easier? ‘How’s your crush?’ she asked, smiling up at him.

‘As gorgeous and perfect as ever,’ Harry said, with a weary smile; the smile of one who has suffered greatly in their pursuit of a happy ending. ‘I wish I could tell her, really, but I can’t pluck up the courage.’

‘You silly boy,’ she told him, gently elbowing him in the side. ‘There’s nothing to be scared of, is there?’

‘Well, it could ruin the friendship I have with her,’ he said, looking mournful. ‘I don’t want to ruin my chance forever.’

‘Ah, so you’re waiting for the perfect time?’ Isis inquired.

Harry nodded. ‘I just can’t tell when that perfect time will be.’

‘I’m sure you’ll know,’ Isis told him. ‘I think-’

She had been going to relate her experience with Kael, how she’d just known- without being able to explain why- they were meant to be together, but Harry interrupted her, with a sad shake of his head. ‘I don’t think I’ll ever do it,’ he said sorrowfully. ‘I just don’t want to ruin things.’

‘Do you think she likes you back?’ Isis asked, giving up on bringing up Kael. She didn’t think Harry was in the mood, anyway.

Harry gave a small smile. ‘You know what,’ he said, ‘at times, I really think she might- or at least that she could. We get on so well, you see, that I think it must be obvious that I like her.’

‘Really?’ Isis grinned at him. ‘That’s brilliant! How does she act around you, then?’ she asked.

‘Well, she’s chatty and friendly, and hugs me a lot,’ Harry began.

‘That’s a good sign!’ Isis told him. ‘She wouldn’t do that if she didn’t like you!’

Harry grinned. ‘You know what,’ he said. ‘I really think she might like me.’