Chapter Ten: 'Some special good'

A/N: Chapter Ten already! Sorry for the delay in uploading, had a busy week! hope you enjoy this chapter, and have a brilliant week :) Maddie xoxo

Shutting his eyes, Kael leant against the wall outside the drama studio. It was tiring being so enthusiastic, he thought, sleepily. After the enthusiastic drama rehearsal, he’d gone to the English Department (guided by Lucas) and had asked them to help with rewriting a script. They’d been extremely unenthusiastic. Kael had decided to rethink asking them to help.

Then, he’d gone home and researched about the play for several hours. His parents would have been shocked, had they been around to see it.

‘Hey Kael,’ someone said. His eyes opened to reveal Isis, smiling up at him. ‘Alright there?’ she inquired.

He nodded. ‘Yeah. Just, er, tired.’

‘Me too,’ she admitted. She looked at her feet as she said it, and Kael, following her gaze noticed that her shoes looked as if they were threatening to fall to bits at any second. He wondered why on earth she was wearing such a rubbish outfit: her jumper faded, her jeans with several holes, and worn in places. Then, for the first time, it hit him that she could well be extremely poor.

Looking at her again, he realised she must be. Who would wear those clothes unless they had no alternative? And he had judged her for it, looking down his nose at her in scorn. He felt a little bit sick at himself.

‘How are you?’ he blurted out, suddenly feeling sympathy for her, and not knowing how on earth to deal with that. Feeling sorry for someone? He wasn’t used to that at all.

Isis looked up at him, startled. Her face relaxed into a smile. ‘Alright, except from the tiredness,’ she replied. ‘I’m looking forward to the play.’

‘You don’t mind what I said about the play, then?’ he asked. ‘About changing it?’

‘Oh no,’ she answered, tucking her long hair behind one ear and smiling up at him. ‘I liked what you had in mind.’

‘Really?’ Kael was more than a little distracted by how beautiful she looked like that, her hair pulled back revealing the curve of her cheek and small, delicate looking ears. Oh dear. He was after her ears? Not good. ‘I thought you’d be cross with me for changing it too much.’

She shook her head, the hair falling back from where she had placed it by her ear. Kael was seized with an urge to tuck it back again. He clasped his hands behind his back, and ignored it. ‘I actually think you were really brave to suggest it,’ she told him. ‘I wouldn’t have dared. But I respect you a lot for doing that; I think it’ll make the play a whole lot better.’

Kael had never felt so proud before. ‘Good,’ he commented, not trusting himself to meet her eyes properly. ‘And er, sorry for what I did when I was drunk,’ he added.

The smile disappeared from Isis’s face. ‘Oh. You remember?’

He nodded. ‘I wasn’t thinking straight, unfortunately.’

She laughed. ‘I gathered that, actually.’